Question On Intel Raptor Lake, any truth to the theory that disabling all e-cores hurts single threaded performance of the p-cores??

Wolverine2349

Prominent
Apr 26, 2022
https://www.overclock.net/threads/o...and-discussion.1799628/page-252#post-29071588
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/y9z92t/comment/iwhtura/?context=3

It would not make any sense and I sure hope there is a workaround as I want 0 e-cores enabled as I purchased the Core i9 13900K to be a powerhouse 8 core 16 thread chip as Intel P cores are better performing at same clock speed than AMD Ryzen 7000 Zen 4 cores. And I hate the hybrid arch, but love the P cores Intel has.

So is there really any truth to what Falkentyne at overclock.net or what Glum-Shape-6516 says on Intel reddit in the other thread; or any possible workaround besides having to enable a stupid e-core. This is on Windows 10. I imagine maybe its only a WIN11 problem due to it being thread director aware.

https://fox-laptop.com/pc-component...es-but-without-them-everything-is-only-worse/

That link above suggests it would also be a problem because of thread director on WIN11, but WIN10 no issues as it is not thread director aware. IS there any difference with 13th gen I need to be aware of because if this is an issue and I want only 8 core 16 thread powerhouse chip, I can return it and get a 7700X. I hope I do not have to do that as Intel has better P cores, but I want no e-cores on at all.

And before anyone tells me the e-cores cause no harm on 13th, gen, that is not the question, I simply do not want them but want the 8 P cores and Intel does not sell a separate SKU with 36MB or more L3 cache with 8 well binned P cores.

Well it is true if you run enough stuff at the same time that all main cores have something to do, then if you run a single thread heavy thread it will have to share resources with a core that already does stuff.

If you don't run enough stuff then no, you can turn off all of your e-cores you paid good money for, and that don't hurt any performance, just so you can feel better.

Wolverine2349

Prominent
Apr 26, 2022
Well it is true if you run enough stuff at the same time that all main cores have something to do, then if you run a single thread heavy thread it will have to share resources with a core that already does stuff.

If you don't run enough stuff then no, you can turn off all of your e-cores you paid good money for, and that don't hurt any performance, just so you can feel better.

Yeah of course but is there any truth to it making a 8 core 16 thread CPU worse than it already is like if you have 1 e-core enabled and force everything to run only on P cores and e-core not allowed to do anything, is Falkentine's result true or just an observation?? I would think all e-cores disabled it should be a great 8 core 16 thread CPU better than 7700X.

Of course in a way if something can free resources on P cores by going to an e-core properly (Which only WIN11 can do and not WIN10 at all), then yeah. But of course I already know that but run WIN10 and like more thermal headroom and the extra L3 cache.