On new PC build, booted up perfectly first time but second time no display and mouse doesn't work

Dan_151

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017
This is my first pc build ever so bear with me please
Intel i7 7700k
Asus strix z270e gaming mobo
asus rog strix geforce gtx 1080 a8g
corsair vengeance rgb 16gb ram (2 x 8gb) 3000mhz
Corsair h100i v2 liquid cooling
samsung evo 850 500gb sdd
evga 650 supernova g2 psu
corsair 760t white case
Dell S2417DG 24 inch gaming monitor with gysnc
razer mamba tournament edition mouse

Anyways I finished putting together my first pc build the other night and it started right up to the bios screen on my first boot and everything seemed to be in working order. Now it was late by the time I finished and I needed to pick up a flash drive to install windows and my keyboard was arriving through the mail the next day as well so I turned the pc off and planned to finishing the OS install then.

So a full day later I had plugged the keyboard in to the motherboard usb ports and my mouse as well and the lights on both of the came on them so they definitely seemed to be working. I turned the pc on, fans and led lights on everything came right on. At this same time I was pressing some of the keys on the keyboard to test the feel of it and suddenly the led lights on both the keyboard and mouse turned off and the front case fan and the liquid cooling fans both shut off as well.

I restarted the PC and the keyboard lights came back on but the mouse would not work in any usb port (works on my laptop) and another mouse I tested would not work either. The rear case fan was running still, as well as the gpu fans, but the 2 front case fans and the liquid cooling weren't turning on, whether the psu was set to eco mode or not. All of this and I was getting no display to my monitor (or another monitor I tested) as well.

I ran through pretty much everything on the won't boot list except for taking off the liquid cooling unit and checking the pins under the processor as I don't want to have to mess with the cpu until I get a case speaker. I also haven't breadboarded the mobo because I do not have a case speaker yet but I ordered one on amazon and that is coming tomorrow so I will be able to check off everything on the won't boot list at that point. After unplugging everything all the fans are starting up now but still no display and no mouse will work no matter where it's plugged in.

Like I said it started up straight away on my first boot but now I don't know what to do, I have run down the entire won't boot list and just don't know what to do at this point. I've read and heard plenty about making sure I was grounded when touching components as to not fry anything and I didn't buy won't of those wristbands but I'm sure I was grounded when touching anything so I don't believe that would be the cause of my issues but maybe someone here may be able to tell me otherwise. Thanks.

Until you get beeper, no real way to approach problem.
But few questions:
How you turned off PC after first boot?
The only hardware changes made between first and next boot were keyboard and mouse?
You plugged keyboard when PC was off and it immediately lighted, or after turning PC on?
So you were pressing some keys on keyboard when PC was booting. Can you recall which keys and order? I guess you did CMOS reset at some point later to undo anything you could do to BIOS this way?

Dan_151

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017

Hi, thanks for the response.
Ya I will be getting the case speaker tomorrow sometime so I will update my post then if I can't find any solution until that time.
After first boot I believe I just shut it off with the power button. Turning it off this way there is an rgb light on the mobo that stays on, turning the computer on turns the rest of the lights on.
The keyboard was really the only hardware change as I had the mouse working with the pc on my first boot.
The keys I pressed were just the letter of my name and random letter keys, so daniel and maybe space bar and enter key but no F keys or num pad keys.
I did attempt to short cmos, didn't do anything as far as I could tell so I also took out the battery which is conveniently located behind my gpu.

Dan_151

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017

Ya, I've tried every port, the mouse not working but the keyboard working doesn't make much sense to me unless it's a drivers thing but I won't know until I get the display working.

But the mouse was working when you boot up first time? And not just light up, but actually working - you could move pointer on display while in BIOS?
And now it works on laptop, but won't light up on PC?
Strange. Did you checked if keyboard actually works on different machine?

Dan_151

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017

Ya the mouse was working in the bios and the keyboard and mouse both work when hooked up to my laptop. And the keyboard has 2 usb cables, one is for usb support on the keyboard itself so I hooked my mouse up to it when I have it hooked up to my laptop and it works that way but doing the same on my pc does not. Weird.

Dan_151

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017

Actually I just noticed the lights do come on for the keyboard when hooked up to the PC but I don't think it's functional because the key that changes the led light pattern and the one that adjusts brightness doesn't light up or function when hooked up to my pc but it does when it's hooked up to my laptop. So maybe it's receiving power to activate the rgb lights but it doesn't seem to have any function. So it seems there is in fact no usb drives or any inputs actually working.

My first thought was that when connecting keyboard you created some shortcut that damaged mobo. While this is possible, I can't find how this theory could explain your mouse behavior. I guess for now, I know less then nothing. Come back when you have the beeper, maybe with it we can have some more light on this mystery.

Dan_151

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017

So I am getting no beeps when starting the system. Asus website says if you get no beeps to contact them, in the z270e motherboard faqs it says if I get no beeps with power lights on to check the memory and check cpu, make sure there is no oxidation. I did what I didn't want to do and removed the heatsink and cpu and checked the pins and everything seemed to be good, no bent pins or anything between the cpu and pins as far as I could tell. I cleaned the thermal paste off with 91% isopropyl alcohol and some q tips and reapplied a small dot in the center and put everything back into place. Still the same issue though.

Dan_151

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017

I don't think it would be the psu because it's rated as more than double the maximum wattage of all my components and it's brand new. Unfortunelty it must be my mobo or cpu then :/
What do you suggest doing? Everything is brand new ordered from amazon, except for the motherboard which I rodered from newegg, should I contact the sellers or intel and asus customer support?

I would contact the sellers for replacement. To save time I would recall both CPU and mobo - you have no way to tell which one is down, and if choose only one and make wrong call, you'll lose extra time.
As for contacting customer support, you can do that too, I just doubt they can give you any better advice or option.