Question On NewEgg it differentiates between "ATX" and "ATX12V" power supplies. Which one do i need for my build? What's the difference?

you have to stick with PSU you mainboard gonna need
your mainboard says its ATX, so pick ATX PSU,
if mobo wouls says ATX12VO then you gonned ATX12VO PSU
they are not interchangeable, ATX 12VO has only 12volt outputs from PSU, its missing 5V and 3.3v rails, those are built into mainboard (to reduce power load)

is you PC primary purpose for gaming? if yes, then 980pro is waste of moneys

Reactions: skyarcher
Jul 17, 2022
Primary purpose of the PC build is for:
  • gaming
  • 3d design/modeling (Fusion 360, Blender, Meshmixer)

That said, would you still say the NVME 980 Pro is overkill. And if so, why?

The motherboard specs say that it has following power pins:
1 x 24-pin ATX main power connector
2 x 8-pin ATX 12V power connectors

Wouldn't that mean that it can take either ATX or ATX12v power supplies?

USAFRet

Titan
Primary purpose of the PC build is for:
  • gaming
  • 3d design/modeling (Fusion 360, Blender, Meshmixer)
That said, would you still say the NVME 980 Pro is overkill. And if so, why?
The only real benefit of something like a 980 Pro is when you are copying large sequential data between two such drives.
(I have a 980 Pr0)

Design work? The CPU/RAM/GPU has FAR more impact than the drive speed.
Gaming? Not even a little bit.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YoRKQy-UO4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ9LyNXpsOo

Reactions: skyarcher

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
850w - 1000w, preferably Platinum rated. Gold rated are decent, but at those power levels under continuous use for extended periods, the difference in efficiency lost to heat starts adding up, both in power draw from the wall and heat output from the psu, which can cause the fan to spin faster, longer, louder.

With that equipment, a 600w+ continuous draw is not out of the realm of possibility or probability, depending on usage. And you will need headroom for spike transient use from the 3080ti, enough to basically guarantee it never hits OCP and shutdown during normal heavy load usage.

I'd be looking at Corsair HXi, Seasonic Prime Ultra, SuperFlower Leadex Platinum series.

The 50%-70% efficiency bracket is not only the highest efficiency level, it's also the best overall thermal range for the psu, so while 1000 to even a 1200w psu might seem a little much, with the possibile continuous loads, it's really not going to hurt to have that cushion.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Atx = 12v, 12v-, 5vVsb, 3.3v etc. All necessary to motherboard function.
Atx12vo = 12v, 12v-. The minor rails are supplied by transformers built into the motherboard directly.

Just because your car has an engine, doesn't mean it'll run on diesel. Or conversely your truck might not run on gasoline. Psu has to match motherboard, if it's a 12vo motherboard, you need a 12vo psu.

You didn't chose a 12vo motherboard, you chose standard ATX, therefore need a standard ATX psu.

Reactions: KyaraM
Jul 17, 2022
Thank you all very much for your input on this topic. I ended up getting the following psu and it was all compatible with no problem:

EVGA SuperNOVA P3 220-P3-1200-X1 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

The only problem I'm troubleshooting now is, all my fans won't stop spinning at full speed, despite low temperatures.

Any thoughts on that?
  • Cooler Fans are plugged into CPU Fan header and read 2,400 RPM
  • Case Fans are plugged into Sys Fan Header and read 1,400 RPM

Jul 17, 2022
Issue resolved. The Sys Fan was set to DC instead of PWM in bios, which caused it to run 100% non-stop.

Now trying to determine what an ideal voltage ramp up curve should be for this setup

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
DC fans are voltage controlled, analog. They operate on 7-12v or 5-12v to determine speeds according to temps. So you are looking at 40% or 60% fan speed as the lowest rpm it'll go and 100% with a full 12v.

Pwm are pulse controlled, digital, in a constant state of on/off at a constant 12v. With a full 12v always there and only needing a 'on' command, pwm fans can hit as low as 20% in general. So a 1000rpm fan can run @ 200rpm (± a few %) at idle.

A good 1000rpm DC fan in comparison won't spin below @ 400rpm ±.

So depending on exactly where the minimum points of your fans are, that can mean changes as to minimum settings for the fan curves.