Question on power on, immediately 90C

johnyb98

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2015
Hello everyone.

Please, I would like to give me some help to the following issue.
It's about the laptop HP 15db1027nv.

With pressing power on button, it burns up. CPU fan starts working from the beginning (with power on), and never stops.
Entering Windows, immediately, Core Temp software shows CPU temp at 90C.

And another that can happen:from Windows it may shutdown without any warning abruptly at 10 minutes (it is for sure because of high temp).

And on a power on session, before start loading Windows, a CPU overheating message from BIOS came up for some seconds only, but I didn't read it all. About 6-7 sentences that had to do with notebook overheating.

I cleaned up cpu fan dust (that dust had been turned into fuzz), and replaced cpu thermal compound. But nothing. With power on, cpu immediately goes to 90C.

What seems to be the problem? Can I do something else to fix the problem?

Thank you for your time.

johnyb98

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2015
Another, I think important, element enters the scene.
The first time I powered on laptop on Sunday, 48h ago, a CMOS error appeared:
-Checksum error (502)
-system paused for about 10 seconds
-restarted
and then entered Windows with wrong date+time.
I reset, entered BIOS, set correct time+date.
That all happened on Sunday.

And here is the strange element:

Yesterday, at about 21:00, when I powered on again, all the same from the beginning:

-Checksum error (502)
-system paused for about 10 seconds
-restarted
-and system/BIOS time+date was set wrong.

After 24h, this is not something normal if CMOS battery is ok. System time+date should not have changed within 24h.

After all this description, do you believe that CMOS battery could cause all this, and just with replacement the problem could be fixed?
Is it possible everything on notebook be fine, and just CMOS battery not keeping BIOS settings, and cause this overheating+shutdown?

Thank you.

Last edited:

johnyb98

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2015
I managed from 90C to make it work normally on 40C-45C. Too many programs run on Windows startup. Disabled them, and temperature now is on about 40C.
But now I have another not really problem, but I am trying to find the answer to that. Before disabling startup applications, on the pictures below, you will see that I removed from heat sink base the sticker it had on. I was affected by internet reading, and thought that by removing it, it may helped. Here are the three images:

before (original heat sink base from factory):

https://ibb.co/MZ4nnfG

after my removal:

https://ibb.co/qChjDVt

Now, when I apply heat sink, without the sticker, the heat sink base, and I am not sure about that, but it is the most possible, must come into touch with the cpu die, as the arrow in the following image:

https://ibb.co/pxZZ4P9

If it was possible, of course, I would put the sticker back, but, unfortunately, the sticker, from my trial to remove it, it has been ruffled and cut in two pieces. If it is possible, could you please explain me what that sticker was there for? Maybe it is ok not to be there. It was for some protection? For temperature guarding? For isolation?

But, I would like to give you this element, too. Without the sticker, and disabling startup applications, I had switched on the laptop, and, without working on it, just had it on desktop, I left it on for 4 hours. No problem, and for these 4 hours, the temperature oscillated between 30C-45C.

So, can you explain me about the sticker and if danger or not not having it there?

Thank you.