[SOLVED] On startup using HDMI cable, 43" 4k monitor gives constant white vga MB led + multiple beeps, but 27" 1080 monitor starts as it should! Any idea why?

Kutchek

Honorable
Sep 21, 2015
Hi, me again... 🙄

Ok, as some of you may have already read, I've just bought a completely new system, and I'm having teething problems

So, this time, when I start up the pc with my brand new Gigabyte Aorus FV43U 43" 4K monitor using the supplied HDMI 2.1 cable, the motherboard VGA led will light up immediately, then I'll get a long beeeeep, followed by three short beeps, and then instead of the screen going through the normal startup procedure where you see the screen with the option to open BIOS by either pressing F2 or Del, it goes directly to the desktop, and for the entire session the white vga led is on

Having tested benchmarks etc, it seems to be working as it should resolution-wise, as it gives similar scores to when I start up using the DPort 1.4 cable

But, when I swap monitors to my old Philips (model number something something 273) 27" 1080p monitor using the old HDMI cable, the pc (and motherboard) start up as it should do, no white vga led and no beeps!

If I use the old cable with the new monitor, I again get the led and beeps on startup and continuous white led throughout the session!

I have googled the white led, and it came back that it is saying that the pc has had to use the integrated gpu as a standalone gpu could not be found (or something along those lines!)

Any ideas why it would do this? And should I consider contacting the supplier and asking for an exchange of components?

As said, the system "seems" to be working the way it should qua display, resolution, etc. once it hits the desktop, but the beeps, the light and the missed BIOS entry screen make me wonder if something has broken after only having it for around 3-4 weeks, and only since the new monitor has arrived!

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Yep, it's a dedicated 43" 4k monitor (so not a TV as such), and when using any type of HDMI connection I get the led light up on the mobo and the beeps, but not when using the DP connector

But when using my old 1080p monitor with the same hdmi cables, it starts up as it should do, no beeping, no led! 😳 🤔🤷‍♂️

Thanks for replying!
Ah, seeing big size I assumed it has to be TV ;) So the simplest explanation of your problem would be failing HDMI port in your monitor. Since your monitor has two HDMI ports I would suggest trying the other port.

Kutchek

Honorable
Sep 21, 2015
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu

4k might be making the gpu draw more power

Sorry, completely forgot that

Asus TUF gaming z490 plus WiFi
i9-10850K
Gigabyte rtx 3080ti Gaming Oc
32gb corsair ram 3200
Corsair 850w gold+ psu
970 Evo 256gb ssd
2tb Barracuda hd
Seagate 4tb ext hd
Windows 10

Thanks for replying!

PS, I've been advised to always go at least one step higher than the recommended psu to take spiking into account, so I went with an 850w instead of the recommended 750w psu

Last edited:

Kutchek

Honorable
Sep 21, 2015
As I understand when using TV with DP cable all is working as it should? Only HDMI cable is behaving 'weird' (actually 2 cables)?

Yep, it's a dedicated 43" 4k monitor (so not a TV as such), and when using any type of HDMI connection I get the led light up on the mobo and the beeps, but not when using the DP connector

But when using my old 1080p monitor with the same hdmi cables, it starts up as it should do, no beeping, no led! 😳 🤔🤷‍♂️

Thanks for replying!

Thanks for replying!
Ah, seeing big size I assumed it has to be TV ;) So the simplest explanation of your problem would be failing HDMI port in your monitor. Since your monitor has two HDMI ports I would suggest trying the other port.

Reactions: Kutchek
Solution