On startup, Windows gets stuck on "lock-screen" lookalike

nan0s7

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
Hey all,

So there's this strange bug I've been running into that's suddenly appeared and I don't know what is going on or any way to fix it.

Basically, whenever I boot up my computer each morning (I turn it off [shutdown] every night), it loads windows but gets stuck on this screen where it shows my mouse, the 4 option icons down the bottom right (accessibility, power options, language, etc.), but nothing else besides the lock screen background.

A reboot will automatically log me in (I'm the only user on this PC) and work like normal. It's just on the first boot, or on a boot when using the power button from a soft shutdown.

My specifications are:
- GTX 1070
- i7 6700k
- ASROCK Z170 Gaming K4
- Windows 10 & other important programs are installed on a SSD
- 700W PSU

Any kind of help or suggestions would be fantastic.

Solution
Have you tried running Startup Repair? It's odd because it sounds like a Boot Manager issue, but it can't be too bad if you can boot into Windows normally on 2nd boot. I would say the best option is to run Startup Repair and see if that can fix it. Likewise, you may want to back up your data with a disk imager and then re-format the PC.

Just in general, I would also recommend that you run a backup after you resolve the issue to retain your pristine state. You could use a disk imager like Macrium Reflect Free or a snapshot tool like RollBack Rx.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Have you tried running Startup Repair? It's odd because it sounds like a Boot Manager issue, but it can't be too bad if you can boot into Windows normally on 2nd boot. I would say the best option is to run Startup Repair and see if that can fix it. Likewise, you may want to back up your data with a disk imager and then re-format the PC.

Just in general, I would also recommend that you run a backup after you resolve the issue to retain your pristine state. You could use a disk imager like Macrium Reflect Free or a snapshot tool like RollBack Rx.

Solution