On The Bench: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 FTW

Status
Not open for further replies.

fstrthnu

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Heh, "FTW". Still, EVGA's done a pretty impressive job here. Still a standby till the Geforce GTX 560 comes, but this is pretty darn good heading into winter

macer1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
Why not use the 10.12 beta drivers from AMD ?

The current test used a 10.10 Beta driver which was more problematic then the 10.9 AMD drivers. Makes no sense to me.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Typically I think factory overclocked cards are a waste of cash, but this seems like a pretty good value. I am very happy with my GTX 470, but if I could do it over I would of snatched up that GTX 460! The 470 is just so loud and hot. But it's whatever. The 460 didn't come out until 3 months after I bought the 470.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]macer1[/nom]Why not use the 10.12 beta drivers from AMD ? The current test used a 10.10 Beta driver which was more problematic then the 10.9 AMD drivers. Makes no sense to me.[/citation]
Because articles take time to write esp when you need to benchmark things.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Well, this doesn't sound too good for AMD. A fully enable GTX 460, which will probably launch as GX560 will probably come close enough, if not equal to the Radeon 6950.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Randomacts[/nom]Really?? A bumper sticker??? hahah... wow..[/citation]
They didn't have enough fun tricking me into putting lame stickers on my expensive case when i was young so now they want me to put lame stickers on my car.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I own 2 GTX470's and if i had seen this GTX460 FTW edition available i would have snatched them up in a heartbeat!

My 470's are a force to be reckoned with but they're also incredibly loud on hot days (Which i can do Nothing about, even with Air conditioning) and according to these power figures suck up so much more power on average.

I still think i made the right choice though, it isn't like i notice the sound when i'm playing games anyway.

And WHY don't ratings work?! Seriously someone has to know..

fstrthnu

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I own 2 GTX470's and if i had seen this GTX460 FTW edition available i would have snatched them up in a heartbeat!My 470's are a force to be reckoned with but they're also incredibly loud on hot days (Which i can do Nothing about, even with Air conditioning) and according to these power figures suck up so much more power on average.I still think i made the right choice though, it isn't like i notice the sound when i'm playing games anyway.And WHY don't ratings work?! Seriously someone has to know..[/citation]
Lolz your post almost exactly replicated touchdowntexas13's post right above.
But anyways, that's always the punishment for early adoption. Of course, these cards here are already close to the end of their lifecycle (when the Geforce 500 series is fully unveiled)

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Does anyone really have so much trouble saying "hmmm look at the stock card overclocked benchmarks and that's what the 460 FTW looks like" that it justifies 10 pages just for this?

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I own 2 GTX470's and if i had seen this GTX460 FTW edition available i would have snatched them up in a heartbeat!My 470's are a force to be reckoned with but they're also incredibly loud on hot days (Which i can do Nothing about, even with Air conditioning) and according to these power figures suck up so much more power on average.I still think i made the right choice though, it isn't like i notice the sound when i'm playing games anyway.And WHY don't ratings work?! Seriously someone has to know..[/citation]

Someone in development broke the ratings system. A bug report has been filed, and we're all eagerly awaiting the fix so that, once again, you guys can vote them up or down!

G

Thanks for the review, but why weren't the graps sorted from highest to lowest and highlight the card being reviewed?

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
There is no point in buying these, you can overclock and overvolt pretty much any videocard, and you can get a better performing cooler for a lot less.

bullcat

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
You should have mentioned that almost all of the advantage over the Radeons came from the Civ 5 map benchmark.

cphorn15

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
[citation][nom]BullCat[/nom]You should have mentioned that almost all of the advantage over the Radeons came from the Civ 5 map benchmark.[/citation]

But the fps are so high that the difference is negligible. Most users playing the game run moniters at 60Hz. The real kicker would be to throw in Eyefinity and 3D Vision/Surround and see the impact of that. Still most users don't use those technologies either.

thermalsig

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Cool. I have a 460 OC. While I do love the card, I will believe in it more strongly if it doesn't come unglued do to the heat down the road. 8800 style. It's nice to see it staying close to older higher powered cards and new cards hitting the market.

Bullheaded67

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I received two of the FTW cards on Monday and it is nice to see the lab work documents what I was already thinking. These cards are beasts and well worth the price.

I think you should do an article showing the FTW cards in SLI vs the competition.

grinderifz

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
Powercolour make a slightly OC card which has a much better fan (PCS +)
This may of been a better choice for competition agaist the EVGA card.

However the EVGA card is a great card and offers nvidia best fps/watt card which I think is very important at this time (dam fuel bills).

Status
Not open for further replies.