On The...Torture Rack? LaCie's Unbreakable USB Thumb Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Why not try get a gun a shoot the LaCie USB drive and see if it is able to stop a bullet? If so, i will buy right away...

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]jupiter optimus maximus[/nom]Why not try get a gun a shoot the LaCie USB drive and see if it is able to stop a bullet? If so, i will buy right away...[/citation]
And chain them together and use as bullet proof vest?

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Next time use a better acid. Nitric Acid will dissolve many things normal acids can't. Of course, Hydrofluoric Acid would work quite well on just about anything, although not a strong acid.

I would strongly recommend one more test. Let a goat eat it, and see what happens. The damn things eat cans, so they have a chance against this thing. If the goat displays unusually good memory a little while after eating it, you'll have your answer.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
Had this been performed in the US (our French team wrote it), you *know* I would have taken as much California-legal firepower to it as possible. Ever since that "CPU Shootout" two April 1sts ago, I've been itching to put a few more rounds into hardware.

Call it payback for pre-production components that keep me up late at night troubleshooting...

sudeshc

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
whats the point of alot of those useless tests i dont want a USB sticky thing for world war, i want them for serious use for what they are meant.

G

Why would you pick a control only to swap it out for non-identical other... not very scientific method; they may be similar but not the same.

The experiment does show the durability but not in any kind of legitimate quantitativeness; I ended more annoyed at this article than informed.

The regular drives stood up to the test amazingly well! And here I was, worried about mistreating my drive.

On the other hand, the LaCie drive is no less impressive either. That thing's probably indestructable. Unless you nuke it.

G

(1) I had an Imation USB drive in the slot while reformatting a hard drive to reload Win XP. Unfortunately, the PC brought up the USB rather than the HD partition, and it did not survive reformatting. Dead as a dodo.

(2) Are you auditioning for Mythbusters?

G

They should give it to the "Will It Blend" guy. If it survives that I'll be impressed.

adaman2576

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]simontay1984[/nom]You should've tested it with thermite. It burns at around 2000 degrees C.Nothing that brainiac has ever tested has survived. For US readers, brainiac is a science program in the UK. Thermite vs safe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a2OeWS3G-A[/citation]
+1 for brainiac. They don't show that enough in the US. Way better than mythbusters.

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Got a 2gig Cruzer Titenium that is now 5 years old that has always been on my keychain.

Montreal Canada so dropped in water, slush, snow and pavement.
USB Keys are quite unkillable unless you get their weakspots.

Mine got killed by my friend stepping on it when it was plugged into the computer... Tho I opened it and welded the connector inside back in place... still running perfectly.

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]jupiter optimus maximus[/nom]Why not try get a gun a shoot the LaCie USB drive and see if it is able to stop a bullet? If so, i will buy right away...[/citation]
Man ...what part of the world do you live in? Afganistan? L.A.? Is stray bullets a problem for you?

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
I have pico from Super Talent...

they're small but it's almost indestructible since it's just small piece of metal...

and yes I have yet to brick one even after my abusive usage...

Status
Not open for further replies.