On The Viability Of Porting iOS And Android Apps To Windows 10 Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shad0wguy

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2012
If it means more apps for Windows Phone I'll take ported apps over no apps any day. And hopefully if it does well enough the devs will invest in native apps.

Blinken

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
What about platform specific API's, those most certainly will need to be reworked. For instance, apps that have integrated Google Play services won't have that on Windows I would think?

GraniteStHacker

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015
I actually suspect performance will be about the same for Android and IOS apps as for native. For Android, there's an abstraction layer involved even on "native" Android devices to smooth out hardware differences. That layer is open source, so Microsoft has full visibility into it to create a "native" abstraction layer for Windows 10. For IOS, Microsoft has long been the compiler king. They have compilers for everything, it's no surprise they'd have a compiler for Objective-C. Regarding any containers they may be talking about, these are likely virtualization containers, and since the Windows 10 Mobile platform is based around virtualization as a security measure, it's a native mechanism in the platform. I'm reasonably sure it's hardware supported.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Very well written article, well done. If this actually works MS could snare, by default, the biggest app collection anywhere forever. No matter how many new apps get added by Apple or Android, Microsoft would always be able to use more.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
The "container" might just refer to the sandbox all WP apps run in, or it could be something else. Converting code is all well and good, but what about binary libraries? (that's another possibility for the "container")

It won't be automatic. Again, the devs have to choose to port their apps over.

Status
Not open for further replies.