Question On what should I look (for overheating) when running Prime95?

Nov 30, 2021
I'm running Prime95 torture-test

I have Mac Fan Control to analyze the temperature

My question is: on what should I look for (In Mac Fan Control) on the 'Ambient' temp,
or on the 'CPU Proximity' temp, or on each single Core's temperature?

The 'Ambient' is 70°C
But the cores are 94-98°C

Prime95 has a few different options, a few of which are effectively considered to be 110-120% overloads when used on Intel processors. (small FFTs, w/ AVX/AVX2)

If that applies here, you are not going to 'fix it'.

WHat CPU is being used, and what Prime95 options are enabled?

Nov 30, 2021
Prime95 has a few different options, a few of which are effectively considered to be 110-120% overloads when used on Intel processors. (small FFTs, w/ AVX/AVX2)

If that applies here, you are not going to 'fix it'.

WHat CPU is being used, and what Prime95 options are enabled?
Thanks for taking the time to answer:
(I'm not that advanced so I hope I'll answer your question)
So... I run the 'torture test' > Blend
On a Mac mini 2012, i7, 2.3Ghz, quad-core, 16GB ram

Also, if it makes a difference:
I Run it when I came back after 4 hours the Ambiant was 70c,
but the CPU's were around 94-98c,
then 2 of the cores reached 100-102c so I turned on the fan on max
I didn't want to damage the machine,
I don't know if that was the right decision, or what to do next

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021

Just use HWiNFO instead, and you can watch temps on all cores in real time...
Also, idk about details for Intel but heaviest hitting load on Ryzen is around 35% of all threads... So as i have 5600X my heaviest load and highest temps will be on 4 thread load.
Less threads - less power consumption
More threads - more auto downclocking because of AVX
sT0tUy3.jpg
mCnygrw.jpg

olHDpyL.jpg

Maybe Ambient temp you see is temp of air somewhere inside your device, but not close to chips.... Which basically shows that other components are running pretty hot

Nov 30, 2021

My question is: on what should I look for (In Mac Fan Control) on the 'Ambient' temp,
or on the 'CPU Proximity' temp, or on each single Core's temperature?

The 'Ambient' is 70°C
But the cores are 94-98°C
Here is a photo, and my question is:
Where should I look? (e.g. Ambiant, core 1, CPU proximity)
What should I do when it gets so hot?
Are 4 hours enough?

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
Here is a photo, and my question is:
Where should I look? (e.g. Ambiant, core 1, CPU proximity)
What should I do when it gets so hot?
Are 4 hours enough?
  1. Definitely Core X temps... And they are pretty toasty from what i seeing there)
  2. If it is possible - reduce power limit or thermal throttling, if not (because it is damned Apple)... well, idk
  3. To check temps actually nowadays you need less than 20 minutes to stabilize them, usually around 2-5 minutes... actually for my chip i don't even need 2 minutes, because it heats up and cools down really fast for me. Just see when temps get equilibrium

P.S. Doesn't seem that your CPU is throttling btw, check specs for it's temperature limit

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021
  1. Definitely Core X temps... And they are pretty toasty from what i seeing there)
  2. If it is possible - reduce power limit or thermal throttling, if not (because it is damned Apple)... well, idk
  3. To check temps actually nowadays you need less than 20 minutes to stabilize them, usually around 2-5 minutes... actually for my chip i don't even need 2 minutes, because it heats up and cools down really fast for me. Just see when temps get equilibrium
Thank you very much:

Now...
  1. If I let the test run while turning up the fan to the max, is it still worth the test?
  2. Should I pause the test (if it's possible) and then resume when it cooled down,
    or the whole purpose of the test is to see how long it can go with the maximum load in one go?

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
Thank you very much:

Now...
  1. If I let the test run while turning up the fan to the max, is it still worth the test?
  2. Should I pause the test (if it's possible) and then resume when it cooled down,
    or the whole purpose of the test is to see how long it can go with the maximum load in one go?
  1. If it is to check how well CPU is cooled, than yeah, that is what you must have done) Especially if you able to set fan curve.
  2. You can pause or stop and continue test anytime.... it basically can last forever). Long tests are usually are done for precise stability check