Question On which SSD to put my games and which to put OS?

mazinyo

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Currently have the Intel 660P 500GB as my only NMVe SSD . I should have gone with the 1TB, but didnt think I would need one. Now I see that games can fill up the SSD quite fast, unless I dont install them all. I was thinking about buying another 500GB SSD, this time probably the MX500. My question is, should I install the OS on the MX500 and the games on the 660P NMVe as its faster?

WildCard999

Titan
Depends on your storage needs, if another 500gb will suffice then get the MX500 but if your going to eventually need more then that then splurge for a 1TB or a HDD. As for which drive to put the games on I would put your longer loading screen games on the Intel and then the others on the MX500. To make sure everything runs smoothly I'd recommend leaving at least 20gb free on both drives.

USAFRet

Titan
OS and application on the Intel
Games and other stuff on the Crucial or other SATA III SSD.

Why? The Intel is 'faster'. Everything interacts with the OS, so it makes sense to have that on the faster drive.

In the context of games, you would not see any difference if the games lived on the Intel NVMe or a SATA III SSD such as the MX500.

mazinyo

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Thanks. Saved me the trouble of formatting my Intel and installing Win 10 again on the MX500.

Depends on your storage needs, if another 500gb will suffice then get the MX500 but if your going to eventually need more then that then splurge for a 1TB or a HDD. As for which drive to put the games on I would put your longer loading screen games on the Intel and then the others on the MX500. To make sure everything runs smoothly I'd recommend leaving at least 20gb free on both drives.

I dont have lots of junk. Movies\tv shows I can download to my SSD and transfer them to my WD 2TB external HDD. Pictures I can also put on that external HDD as I dont really need it for daily viewing. Docs and stuff wont take much space anyway and I have a flash USB to put them on. I was thinking hard about getting a 1TB HDD as of course its cheaper and bigger, but since games will be the only thing that is going to occupy the space, and since Its better to put them on a SSD anyway, theres no point getting a HDD