[SOLVED] On Windows 10 64-bit it says 8 GB installed but only 3.69 GB usable ?

Oct 3, 2020
Specs of the PC with the problem:

Motherboard: a68hm-k

Processor: AMD a6 7480

Memories: 2 x 4g H. Fury 1600mhz

System: Windows 10 64 bits

I already removed the memories and put them back in, "msconfig" doesn’t solve anything , I changed the slot memories, everything ok with the memories and the configuration, at Bios it says I have 8gb, however when I reinstalled the processor (2 times) it shows the 8gb available, after entering the bios setup appears the 2 modules, but says that the usable total is 4gb. All software says 8gb installed (including the bios shows each installed module).

I didn't find the memory remap or similar option in the bios.

Bios updated to latest version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
if its 64bit the memory addresses windows uses are so far above the range of ram sticks that shouldn't be the reason now.

is the remaining ram showing as hardware managed in task manager?

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

dimtodim

Reputable
Specs of the PC with the problem:

Motherboard: a68hm-k

Processor: AMD a6 7480

Memories: 2 x 4g H. Fury 1600mhz

System: Windows 10 64 bits

I already removed the memories and put them back in, "msconfig" doesn’t solve anything , I changed the slot memories, everything ok with the memories and the configuration, at Bios it says I have 8gb, however when I reinstalled the processor (2 times) it shows the 8gb available, after entering the bios setup appears the 2 modules, but says that the usable total is 4gb. All software says 8gb installed (including the bios shows each installed module).

I didn't find the memory remap or similar option in the bios.

Bios updated to latest version.
windows and virtual memory use some part of ram memory.. u can reduce space of virtual memory

Reactions: Alonsio Martins

Colif

Win 11 Master
if its 64bit the memory addresses windows uses are so far above the range of ram sticks that shouldn't be the reason now.

is the remaining ram showing as hardware managed in task manager?

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

Solution
Is it posible that you may have a lot of background and secondary apps open that may be eating part of your RAM?

Did you try to open task manager?, go to Performance tab and you will be able to see how much RAM of those 8GB are been used?

That's irrelevant to the issue, RodroX

The "usable" RAM value shown in Control Panel>>System does not vary according to how much RAM is currently being used.

That's irrelevant to the issue, RodroX

The "usable" RAM value shown in Control Panel>>System does not vary according to how much RAM is currently being used.

mmmm.... exactly in what part of my post did I wrote anything about go check the RAM in Control Panel -> System?

Did you read my post?

In fact it will be great if OP can take a pic and post it here, Im talking about this (yes I know is in spanish, is my natural language):

OP4uVks.jpg

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
That CPU has integrated graphics, I wonder if the difference being taken is the graphics
https://askgeek.io/en/cpus/AMD/A6-7480

I can't find how much the Radeon R5 series igpu uses. it appears most it can use is 4gb

if the op has it showing on this screen that only 3.69gb is usable, it doesn't matter what shows elsewhere as windows won't try to use any more
TXCPctn.jpg

the hardware reserved total on page you showed might helps too.

Last edited:
That CPU has integrated graphics, I wonder if the difference being taken is the graphics
https://askgeek.io/en/cpus/AMD/A6-7480

I can't find how much the Radeon R5 series igpu uses. it appears most it can use is 4gb

Its posible that the iGPU may be eating part of the system RAM (specially if OP reserved - forced - a fixed value on the BIOS)

But far as I know the integrated Radeon R5 would not use more than 2GB, in fact it may be even lower.

Thats why I asked for the task manager info and if posible a screenshot.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020
I did what they suggested, I just didn't change any options in the bios.

below I leave the print of the task manager.

Thank you very much for the suggestions, but the problem remains.

below task manager link:

image task manager

obs: sorry for the english, is that i speak portuguese .

I did what they suggested, I just didn't change any options in the bios.

below I leave the print of the task manager.

Thank you very much for the suggestions, but the problem remains.

below task manager link:

image task manager

obs: sorry for the english, is that i speak portuguese .

mmmm Windows can only see 4GB of system memory, at the same timeit shows 8GB installed and 4GB of reserved hardware memory.

You have cpuz on the desktop, Does cpuz also show 4GB of system memory ("Memory" tab -> "Size")?

Also, does it shows both memory sticks info when you change the slots on the "SPD" tab using the drop down menu?

Edit: You could aslo donwload GPUZ, run it, and see whats the "Memory Size" it shows in there, it should be the memory for the GPU (https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/).

Last edited:
mmmm.... exactly in what part of my post did I wrote anything about go check the RAM in Control Panel -> System?

Did you read my post?

In fact it will be great if OP can take a pic and post it here, Im talking about this (yes I know is in spanish, is my natural language):

OP4uVks.jpg

Yes, RodroX, I did read your post and I did not mis-quote you.

I was merely referring to Control Panel >> System as that's where the "Usable" RAM is shown, as seen by the OP. I wasn't suggesting you had said anything about that.

A misunderstanding on your part, nothing more.
No offence intended.

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you run memtest?

WIn 10 is more sensitive to bad ram compared to previous OS. It might be seeing problems with 1 stick and therefor not using it.

Not all of the 4.6gb of hardware reserved is one stick, but you will have a small amount there anyway, it should be about 55mb. not that much.

But far as I know the integrated Radeon R5 would not use more than 2GB, in fact it may be even lower.

I found it was up to 4gb, it wouldn't use it all the time though.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020
Apparently the problem has been solved. After several tests, I decided to do something different. I removed the memories and I removed the battery from the bios, took the module that was in the first slot and put it in the second slot, started a machine, read the memory correctly, then turned off and put the second module in the first slot, until the moment problem has been solved.

I did the procedure of removing as memories 3 times and replacing them, inverting them 2 times and even then the problem continued. Lastly I tried to invert logic and start a machine with the first empty slot, it worked. It is certainly some communication problem between mobo and the processor. For now it solved the problem.

HyperPete

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
I see CPU-Z on your desktop. Look at the SPD tab. You can see what it shows for each stick of RAM, and possibly see what the problem is. Perhaps it is a memory timing issue on 1 or more sticks of RAM.
I'm glad you got it working!

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
Apparently the problem has been solved. After several tests, I decided to do something different. I removed the memories and I removed the battery from the bios, took the module that was in the first slot and put it in the second slot, started a machine, read the memory correctly, then turned off and put the second module in the first slot, until the moment problem has been solved.

I did the procedure of removing as memories 3 times and replacing them, inverting them 2 times and even then the problem continued. Lastly I tried to invert logic and start a machine with the first empty slot, it worked. It is certainly some communication problem between mobo and the processor. For now it solved the problem.
As I asked - Does a bios reset help? Glad you got there.