Onboard graphics not working after removing GPU (really struggling)

sam5959

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
TLDR; onboard graphics on PC build worked after I removed my GPU. As soon as I reset windows it still worked but then when I turned the PC off to resume the setup at my friend's house, I couldn't get a video signal from any of the motherboard outputs.

So this is an issue with a PC build I have owned for about two years now. The build went smooth, I used the onboard graphics for initial setup and then bought a GTX 1060 for gaming. Been happy ever since.

Recently a friend asked me to advise him in building a PC, so I offered him mine to purchase. I would take the GPU and some HDDs as he just wanted it as an office PC.

I took all my files off the boot drive that I needed, took out the couple of extra hard drives that I was keeping, took out my GPU and then gave it a clean with some canned air. I plugged the PC back in through the motherboard HDMI so I could reset windows. I started windows reset and then when it started the initial setup again I turned the PC off so I could do the setup over at my friend's house.

I drove my PC to my friend's house (it was laid down on its back on my car seat, wedged so it couldn't move). When I got to my friend's house I plugged in the monitor to the DVI port on the motherboard. PC turned on fine but no visual on the monitor. I figured it was some setting that wasn't allowing the DVI to be used so I brought it back home to try and figure it out.

On returning home I tried it again with my HDMI monitor but this time it didn't work, PC powered on but no video signal. To get some sort of video signal I had to put my GTX1060 back in.

I have been trying since then to figure out how to get my integrated graphics back working.

Here are my system specs:

-Intel i5 6600k

-Asrock z170 fatality ATX motherboard

-EVGA 650W bronze modular PSU

-8gb 2400 Corsair DDR4 ram

-windows 10 home

Here are the things I have tried so far:

-went into the bios to enable the integrated GPU as the main video output. This just meant that now i couldn't even get a video signal from my graphics card. Had to take the battery out of the motherboard to get a video signal from my graphics card again.

-reset the motherboard CMOS.

-tried to use the internet bios firmware flash tool but when trying to download I kept getting a "no internet connection" error (even though it found the bios update fine initially)

-tried doing the windows setup myself to see if it was a driver issue. After setup still no luck. Went to install the VGA driver from Asrock website but when trying to install it came up with an error saying my hardware was too new.

(After all of these methods were tried, I always removed the GPU before I tried the onboard graphics)

I'm really stuck. Like I have no idea what to do at this point. Last on my list is use a usb drive to update the bios but if I don't have to do that I would rather not. If anyone could help you have no idea how thankful I would be.

Install GTX 1060 into pc;
Go into BIOS and enable iGPU multi-monitor feature;
Boot into windows, have 1 monitor connected to GPU and 1 monitor connected to iGPU;
enable extended desktop and set monitor connected to iGPU as primary;
Disable extended desktop and set desktop to show on iGPU connected monitor only;
Shut down, remove GTX 1060 and
Reboot into windows from iGPU.

sam5959

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
Hi SkyNetRising. Thank you so much for your answer. That seemed like a great idea. I just tried it but still no output from my motherboard. I can see the GPU output fine of course but it's not detecting any visuals from the motherboard.

sam5959

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015

Thanks for your response again. I have enabled this but still no luck. Is there anything else I must enable in the bios?