Question onboard RAM upgrade, yes or no?

Jun 26, 2022
Hello everybody.
I just bought online an Asus 15.6" VivoBook 15 K513EA-BQ788T, which comes with onboard RAM. It should have 8GB soldered unit and an empty slot for upgrade or a 4+4GB with the slot taken. Asus is pretty vague on the different configurations of the k513ea series and so far I wasn't able to know for certain.

In any case, my question is: should I upgrade the RAM? And how?

If I get the 4+4, should I replace the 4? with an 8 or 16GB module? Is it wise to do so, and which is best?
If I get the 8 soldered, should I put another 8 or a 16?

I use the computer mainly with adobe graphic and publishing tools (PS, ID and AI).

Thank you all for your help

Jun 26, 2022
Thanks for the info guys.
I had asked the crucial support team already and they pointed to the appropriate sticks.

However on the Asus site you find this info:
Up to 16GB RAM
4GB DDR4 on board, Total system memory upgradeable to:12GB
8GB DDR4 on board, Total system memory upgradeable to:16GB

Asus VivoBook 15 K513-11th-gen-Intel

and I wonder if the MoBo can take more than what Asus has written.

Also, if it does, is there a real gain in adding a bigger module, or is it best to have the two matching size?

My laptop should arrive in a a few days and as soon as it does I'll open it up to make sure of what I bought, since all the different configurations are not really explained anywhere on the official Asus sites...

Thanks again

Jun 26, 2022
I have bought a 1TB HDD together with the laptop as there is an open slot for it, so I will have to open it in any case to install it.

I wanted to get the RAM too, and install it at the same time as the HDD not to fiddle with the screwdriver too much, but since Asus has used all the letters in the alphabet for the seemingly infinite configurations of the K513EA line, I can't be 100% sure of what is inside the machine.

All the evidence (and my hopes) are that the on-board module is 8GB and there is one empty slot.

Once open, I will look for the mobo's s/n and run a search to see how much RAM it supports,

I have bought a 1TB HDD together with the laptop as there is an open slot for it, so I will have to open it in any case to install it.

I wanted to get the RAM too, and install it at the same time as the HDD not to fiddle with the screwdriver too much, but since Asus has used all the letters in the alphabet for the seemingly infinite configurations of the K513EA line, I can't be 100% sure of what is inside the machine.

All the evidence (and my hopes) are that the on-board module is 8GB and there is one empty slot.

Once open, I will look for the mobo's s/n and run a search to see how much RAM it supports,

Run a scan see what it says.

Reactions: thedeadgamer