Onboard sound issue

elvisruns

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
I posted this question on the Sound Card forum but have gotten no thoughts, so I am posting it here as well, as everyone was pretty helpful here when I built my computer earlier this year.

Have a question related to sound, but not necessarily a dedicated sound card. Had a thunderstorm the other night, pole in the back yard took a direct hit, but we never lost power. I think my computer was in its hibernation state at the time, but the power strip everything was plugged into was on. Ultimately I did end up with a toasted modem, router, small 13" tube tv in the kitchen, and I think the computer speakers.

Here's where I'm at: I believe that the computer speakers and subwoofer were actually turned on at the time of the storm. They had been plugged into the headphone jack on the back of the computer. I can't get any sound out of them now, just a really low/faint buzzing sound from the speaker if you hold it close to your ear. If you turn the volume up the buzzing doesn't get any louder. I unplugged the speakers from the jack on the back of the computer and tried playing it straight from the computer's internal piezio speaker, but get no sound at all from that either. Checked that the drivers for the computer sound were up to snuff and appears to be no issue there.

So the question is do you think that the piezoelectric speaker might have gotten toasted as well or problem on the motherboard itself? Any ways to further check other than picking up another piezoelectric and trying it on the mobo? Everything else on the computer checks out fine as far as I can tell. Mobo is a Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H Socket AM3 880G mATX.

Thanks, in advance, for any insight.

newsurak

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Try these steps:
Plug known good headphones into the PC headphones. If no sound in the headphones other than your described buzzing, your MOBO is suspect.
Plug the speakers into a known working sound source (ipod whatever), if no proper response, your speakers are suspect, too.
Piezo speakers are pretty simple technology, so I suspect they'd be pretty fault tolerant.

elvisruns

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Well, after trying headphones into the headphone jack, there is no life left in the audio portion of the mortherboard. I guess that gives me an excuse to go to Micro Center this weekend!

Any suggestions on a replacement for the mobo:
Gigabyte GA-880GM-D2H Socket AM3. Current processor is an AMD Phenom II X4 840.
I'm sort of torn between staying on the cheaper side with an AM3 socket or moving to a AM3+

Any thoughts on one or two I might want to consider?