Question Onboard sound suddenly quit

ceponatia

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Hi, I'm at wits end with this mobo and fortunately I have a new one I just am waiting to purchase a bigger case as it is ATX and my case is micro. anyway...

I popped the case open to test out some new RAM I bought. Had to pull out my 1060 in order to unclip the old RAM (micro atx after all). Plugged the 1060 back in... CHANGED LITERALLY NOTHING ELSE... and now my onboard audio isn't working at all (front or rear).

When I turned the PC back on the realtek audio was disabled so I re-enabled that. Still nothing. In the past I've had problems with the 1060 taking over and piping audio to my TV which I do not want because one of the speakers on it is dead. I do not know what else could be wrong. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. Realtek shows up in my system information and in the sound settings it shows audio going to it. If I had killed it somehow while working on my PC I'd think that it wouldn't show up or would have an error. If I killed one of the ports then the front one should still work. At a loss. I'd like to resolve this because it'll be a couple weeks before I can buy a new case but in the end this board is about to hit the garbage can soon anyway. Just would like to figure it out.

Thanks.

(EDIT) interestingly... I have a USB to RCA adapter and tried that and it works fine, even with the realtek enabled and NVIDIA disabled. Even more perplexing for me.

(EDIT 2) nevermind it appears that USB adapter is using a driver for a logitech headset. Well it's good enough for now.

Lutfij

Titan
Mind sharing your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? You can try uninstall and then reinstalling the sound card drivers. See if that alleviates the issue. You might also want to keep in mind that the USB adapter you speak of relies on the USB port to process all audio(in or out) meaning the sound card, onboard, is not in use.