Onboard video

I am getting a new computer and it has onboard video with no agp slot the
video chipset is Intel Extreme Graphics 2.
How will it compare with my radeon 9100 128 meg. Should I be worried about
getting a different motherboard I don't need high end graphics just as long
as it is as good as or better

Thanks I think Ive decided to upgrade the processor and harddrive I have. as
I alredy have a decent motherboard

Brad Kraan wrote:
> I am getting a new computer and it has onboard video with no agp slot the
> video chipset is Intel Extreme Graphics 2.
> How will it compare with my radeon 9100 128 meg. Should I be worried about
> getting a different motherboard I don't need high end graphics just as long
> as it is as good as or better

I think yer Radeon 9100's faster than the Intel Extreme Graphics 2.

I'm going to go way out on a limb here and make a gross generalization:
Any modern video card or on-board video is good enough for every
application except two.

The two exceptions are gaming and CAD.

If you are not doing those, then you can proceed, at least as far as
video is concerned. But if you are doing either one of those, then
there is no way that you should get a motherboard without an AGP slot
that can accept upgraded video cards.

[This response also excludes MCE systems, which have their own unique
requirements][MCE = Windows XP Media Center Edition]

Brad Kraan wrote:

> I am getting a new computer and it has onboard video with no agp slot the
> video chipset is Intel Extreme Graphics 2.
> How will it compare with my radeon 9100 128 meg. Should I be worried about
> getting a different motherboard I don't need high end graphics just as long
> as it is as good as or better

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Brad Kraan" <bradkraan@rogers.com> wrote in message
>I am getting a new computer and it has onboard video with no agp slot the
>video chipset is Intel Extreme Graphics 2.
> How will it compare with my radeon 9100 128 meg. Should I be worried about
> getting a different motherboard I don't need high end graphics just as
> long as it is as good as or better

It's a LOT worse than what you've got. It also takes a chunk of your system
RAM. A Radeon 9100 128Mb is vastly superior to the Intel integrated
graphics. It's basically a 128bit 8500LE, which is about a GeForce3 Ti200
equivalent. For gaming it's like night and day. For productivity and web
browsing the 9100 is still far superior. We recently got some new Dell
systems, most with P4 2.8's with 512Mb DDR and the Intel Extreme graphics.
One "high end" box, same processor and ram, came with a 128Mb GeforceFX5200
dual head card. It's noticeably a lot faster doing any type of screen
redraws in any app. And the FX5200 is a complete POS as far as graphics
cards go. Best bet for you....a PCI 9200 card or a PCI 5700 card.

Barry Watzman wrote:

> I'm going to go way out on a limb here and make a gross generalization:
> Any modern video card or on-board video is good enough for every
> application except two.
>
> The two exceptions are gaming and CAD.
>
> If you are not doing those, then you can proceed, at least as far as
> video is concerned. But if you are doing either one of those, then
> there is no way that you should get a motherboard without an AGP

or, the times being what they are, PCI Express

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)