[SOLVED] Once in a while, computer won't start for several hours, and then go back to working fine

Oct 14, 2020
So this has happened 4 times so far since I've bought it. The computer is little over 1 year old so I don't think its component decay. What happens exactly is when I press the button to turn the computer on it doesn't produce any effect at all; There is literally nothing that changes inside the box, no leds, no fans moving, no electric sound; It's as if it has no effect. I've verified if the cord is powered: it is; I've checked the power source: It's working just fine, I've even checked each pin with a millimetre to check for abnormal voltages and everything is as intended; I've checked the power buttons themselves and they work fine, I've also tried doing a shunt between the start pins the button is connected to: No luck. Keeping the computer unplugged for a long period of time to try to remove any internal static current didn't also seem to have any effect. What happens is: after, like, 5 hours to full a day, the computer goes back to normal behaviour: I press the power button and everything works fine.
I've researched this extensively (within my best knowledge, I'm no tech guy), and found little information. Within that information the best lead is that it might be the "Fast Boot" Windows option that is producing this behaviour, so I proceeded to turn it off. That was after the last time this happened. Today its happening again. Now I question if, by some update, Windows might have turned that option back on again, or if this is a whole other issue completely.
Here are my specs:
  • Motherboard: ATX MSI B450 Gaming Plus
  • GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC
  • Power Source: Seasonic M12II Evo Edition 520W Full Modular
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Hexa-Core 3.4GHz w/ Turbo 3.9GHz 19MB SktAM4
I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Solution
Yes I can see the stain.

Appears to me (at the higher resolution) to be oval shaped, grayish with a blueish-green spot and a gold spot in the oval's lower right quadrant.

The discoloration and location looks "shaky" (technical term :) ) to me....

Some damage and I would suspect a crack that "makes and breaks" for whatever reasons and power disconnects occur.

Hopefully covered by warranty.

Suggest, if possible, that you wait for other views and any additional comments or suggestions.

No immediate harm in doing so unless there is pending a warranty expiration.

Ralston18

Titan
"I've checked the power source: It's working just fine" - by "power source" you mean the PSU - correct.

What procedure did you use to test the PSU?

For example:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Remember that the PSU is not underload and therefore the voltages are not a full test per se.

Are you able to correlate the failures to temperature?

Any motherboard LEDs lit? Ever any beeps?

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify that all cards, cables, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place. Remove and reinstall while checking the resulting connections by sight and feel.

Especially the power connectors.

Oct 14, 2020
"I've checked the power source: It's working just fine" - by "power source" you mean the PSU - correct.

What procedure did you use to test the PSU?

For example:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Remember that the PSU is not underload and therefore the voltages are not a full test per se.

Are you able to correlate the failures to temperature?

Any motherboard LEDs lit? Ever any beeps?

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify that all cards, cables, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place. Remove and reinstall while checking the resulting connections by sight and feel.

Especially the power connectors.
Thank you for your reply;
This is the video that I followed to test the PSU:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr70VyoACPg

I understand that the values may be different if not under the regular load, but they must meet the standards expected in that condition.
When I try to start the machine, there are no LED's lit, no beeps, no fans turning, and no electric sound.
I have checked and re-checked, all cables and components are in their right place.
What else can you suggest I do?

Ralston18

Titan
Swap another known working power button/switch. (Even if the existing button tested okay. You may have caught the button on a "good day".

Swap in known working power cables between PSU and motherboard.

Any possibility of borrowing another PSU via family member or friend?

Oct 14, 2020
Swap another known working power button/switch. (Even if the existing button tested okay. You may have caught the button on a "good day".

Swap in known working power cables between PSU and motherboard.

Any possibility of borrowing another PSU via family member or friend?
As I expected, because it happened in the past, this morning I pressed the power button and everything is working fine.
The problem hasn't been solved and now I can't even test anything because everything is now suposeddly working well, so debugging the problem is very difficult.. Even if I swap the PSU, or cables, the current ones are working atm.
I am stumped.. And I have good reason to believe this might happen again in the future.

Ralston18

Titan
Very likely it will happen again in the future.

All the more reason to test, check Reliability History, Event Viewer, Task Manager, Resource Monitor etc.

So next time things go astray you will have a baseline in place that could help identify the culprit.

That said:

Reading back through the posts I am beginning to think that the motherboard is the culprit and probably a power socket.

Take a closer look at the power connectors. Plugs and sockets.

One of the wires going into a power plug may be loose.

With power off and unplugged check the wires. Gently press them in toward the plug body. Ensure that all of the wires have a good "grip" into the plug body.

However, noted that you swapped the power cables. That likely eliminates a plug problem - leaving the sockets suspect.

Likewise inspect the sockets. Use a bright flashlight to look inside for debris. Could be something sized and positioned just "right" to intermittently cause connectivity losses.

Ensure that the applicable motherboard power sockets are not wiggling on the motherboard.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect everywhere on the motherboard. Look for a metal to metal contact point that could be causing an intermittent short.

Reactions: Customer1234
Oct 14, 2020
Hello again @Ralston18 ,
I didn't answer to this thread for some time because the computer was working so far and I didn't want to mess with it; However, as I predicted, the issue happened again. In fact it happened multiple times, but these times I noticed that if I gave the PC a nudge while I was pressing the power button, it would work.
That immediately made me think that it might indeed by a bad contact somewhere. I kept doing this method but today it didn't work at all, so I thought it would be a good time to open up and check everything.
I cleaned all dust and debri, which wasn't much, but still could be provoking a short somewhere; I re-checked all cables and pins; I took out both the PSU and the GPU and cleaned them of dust as best as I could. I checked every nuck and cranny but the computer still wouldn't start. So I took the time to really examine carefully the motherboard and I discovered that near the pins that connect to the power button, there is a sort of a very small stain in the board, like as if that area had overheated or burned; The motherboard is painted black, but on that area its like its original green hue is showing through. I think this might be our issue, and since its a board problem, I'm inclined to just send it back while I have the warranty on my side.
Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this; Don't like being limited to my own perspective.
Cheers

Ralston18

Titan
Your description does indeed describe what could be a problem.

Could you provide a couple of photographs without revealing any personally identifying information?

Just be sure that the photographs are focused, free of glare, and show the discolored area as clearly as possible.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

No harm in getting other "eyes" taking a look.

Oct 14, 2020
So I tried to upload the image through 2 differnt methods, as your post suggested but I just couldn't, so allow me to break the rules and just post the link directly here:
ibb.co/6wBcgf9

It's not very easy to see, but in the right side of the screw, above the 2 leftmost pins, you can see the stain I mentioned.
So much for being free of glare, but its the best I could, sorry.

Ralston18

Titan
Yes I can see the stain.

Appears to me (at the higher resolution) to be oval shaped, grayish with a blueish-green spot and a gold spot in the oval's lower right quadrant.

The discoloration and location looks "shaky" (technical term :) ) to me....

Some damage and I would suspect a crack that "makes and breaks" for whatever reasons and power disconnects occur.

Hopefully covered by warranty.

Suggest, if possible, that you wait for other views and any additional comments or suggestions.

No immediate harm in doing so unless there is pending a warranty expiration.

Reactions: Customer1234
Solution
Oct 14, 2020
Thank you very much for the input.
Your description makes a lot of sense; This definitely wasn't a problem that was there from the start, and thus the result of wear and tear or component flaw. The fact that it sometims works and others doesn't shows that it is indeed something intermitent, as you acknowledged.

Warranty ends in January, so some time left still; However the problem is getting more frequent as right now everyday is a struggle to get the computer to turn on and sometimes even making it impossible.

I'm leaning towards just sending it for repairs (takes 30+ days) and buying another to replace this one. Would rather cover the cost and end up with 2 than be so long without a functional machine.

I appreciate your help so far, will update you if anything changes.
Cheers