Once My Windows 7 is Upgraded to Windows 10 Can I Transfer This Copy of Windows 10 to New Motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Once My Windows 7 is Upgraded to Windows 10 Can I Transfer This Copy of Windows 10 to New Motherboard?

If you're talking about upgrading your existing Windows 7 to the actual release of Windows 10 after July 29, probably not.
All the verbiage from Microsoft so far talks about 'on this device'. Meaning your current PC. As Microsoft considers the motherboard to be 'the PC', or device....

But how about we wait until AFTER it is actually released. Instead of wild speculation that no one outside of Redmond actually knows.

NunoAntunes

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
What do you mean? The windows copy is stored in you HDD/SSD, not in the motherboard. SO you can swap the mobo and keep the windows install.
Also, as long as you have your Windows key (the thing that looks like XXXX-XXXX-...-XXXX), you can transfer it to wherever u want.

bobmanuk

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
Microsoft has said that the windows 10 license (upgrade license from 7/8 to 10) will be valid for the lifetime of the computer... if you replace the motherboard, and possibly other hardware, is it technically the same computer? IF Microsoft give you the serial for your registered machine on the day of release, then what is there to stop you installing the copy of Windows 10 on any other computer? not a lot, but we dont know how this is going to work until Microsoft show their hand. Only then can we answer these upgrade/install scenario questions.

Alyus

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

So transfer Windows 7 unto new motherboard by any means, only then upgrade to windows 10? I know some people had to call MS and make some excuse such as, "My motherboard broke so I need to transfer that key to my new motherboard." That's if they weren't able to pass the machine.

bobmanuk

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

you shouldnt need to speak to anyone when moving a windows 7 license to a new PC, ive done it many times with the key i got as a student many years ago.

simply do a telephone activation if the internet activation fails.
enter the digits that you are given and when they ask you, how many pc's is it installed on, just answer 1, it should continue to give you the answer digits.

SuperDupler

Honorable
Sep 18, 2014
As far as I know, from my experience you cannot transfer to another computer without tons of problems. Unlike Linux, Microsoft bonds to your whole computer specifically so it freaks out when you start changing components. BUT, doing the whole Win 10 tech preview thing, I just installed another copy of Win7 & didn't bother with the product key (as legally my windows is already used up) then ran the win10 upgrade and there you go! Even transferring your Win7 to a new Mobo will be hell. As others have stated, just re-install when you get your new Mobo and do the painful re-install of all your software. I forgot which one, but I did read about one of the partition programs that can make a generic disk image of your windows so you can more easily move it to another PC or change Mobos, but I don't remember the program...

USAFRet

Titan

The current Windows 10...the Tech Preview...has nothing to do with the final release coming next month.
Sure you can install the Tech Preview on whatever hardware you want, as many times as you want.

The final release? Whole different story.

USAFRet

Titan

If you're talking about upgrading your existing Windows 7 to the actual release of Windows 10 after July 29, probably not.
All the verbiage from Microsoft so far talks about 'on this device'. Meaning your current PC. As Microsoft considers the motherboard to be 'the PC', or device....

But how about we wait until AFTER it is actually released. Instead of wild speculation that no one outside of Redmond actually knows.

Solution

Alyus

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
We'll have to see when MS comes with their Windows 10 user agreement. As with Windows 8.1, there is no restriction in transferring it to another computer, hopefully that will apply to Windows 10.

USAFRet

Titan

Actually, that changed between 8 and 8.1.
8 - no restriction
8.1 - some restrictions

Alyus

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

Thanks. For some reason from my email I clicked the green button to read replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.