Question One 80mm exhaust and two 120mm intake. What should I do?

Mar 4, 2020
Hi, I'm new here, and I would like to ask you about my PC cooling...
My case has a 120mm or 80mm at the front, for intake, a 120mm (only) for the side panel and a exhaust 80mm (only)... What can I do, for a better cooling?
Leaving the 3 fans, 2 intake (120mm) and 1 exhaust (80mm)? Do the reverse? Or leaving the 2 120mm fans for intake, none for exhaust. or 1 120mm for intake and the other 120mm exhaust ?

I don't know that I can tell you what's best.

A lot of it depends on the case design etc.

What I would do is run it as is and check the temps under load....and if they're good I'd leave it alone.

If they're not good then I would experiment with the fans.

Hi, I'm new here, and I would like to ask you about my PC cooling...
My case has a 120mm or 80mm at the front, for intake, a 120mm (only) for the side panel and a exhaust 80mm (only)... What can I do, for a better cooling?
Leaving the 3 fans, 2 intake (120mm) and 1 exhaust (80mm)? Do the reverse? Or leaving the 2 120mm fans for intake, none for exhaust. or 1 120mm for intake and the other 120mm exhaust ?

Hi, welcome to the forum.

• Are you having some kind of throttling issue?
  • Having some high temps on your components?
  • PC hangs and stop working?

Can you elaborate whats the actual problem, why do you want to improve your PC cooling performance?

Also please share with the rest what are you system specs, brand and model of cpu, motherboard, ram, gpu, psu, cpu cooler, case, etc.

Cheers

Mar 4, 2020
Thank you both, for your replies.
Well, I did try two methods. One with all 3, two intakes and one exhaust, and the temperatures went to about 25 to 28 (CPU) and 21 (GPU) on idle. Without exhaust, the 80mm fan, they pratically stay the same, only CPU went to about 34... So maybe it means that I wont need much 3 fans, or maybe just stick with the 3 of them, like that.
In response to

Hi, welcome to the forum.

• Are you having some kind of throttling issue?
  • Having some high temps on your components?
  • PC hangs and stop working?
Can you elaborate whats the actual problem, why do you want to improve your PC cooling performance?

Also please share with the rest what are you system specs, brand and model of cpu, motherboard, ram, gpu, psu, cpu cooler, case, etc.

Cheers

well, no on all of them, which means that isn't a big deal then, is that right?

Thank you both, for your replies.
Well, I did try two methods. One with all 3, two intakes and one exhaust, and the temperatures went to about 25 to 28 (CPU) and 21 (GPU) on idle. Without exhaust, the 80mm fan, they pratically stay the same, only CPU went to about 34... So maybe it means that I wont need much 3 fans, or maybe just stick with the 3 of them, like that.
In response to

well, no on all of them, which means that isn't a big deal then, is that right?
Those are pretty normal idle temps and actually on the cool side.
I would put a load on it and see what the temps go to.
You can use CPUID to load the CPU to 100% if you go to the "bench" tab.
For the GPU....I imagine you can find a game to max it out with,

Reactions: DarPu and RodroX
Mar 4, 2020
I agree with jay32267 here, those are very good idle temps, but you didn't mention what kind of CPU, GPU, PSU, etc. you do have, so is imposible to write anything else.
You also didn't mention whats your current stock cooler.

Yeah sorry for that, so it`s a i5-4690 / RX460 2GB OC / Seasonic 520W / Arctic Alpine 12 (cooler).

Mar 4, 2020
OK, so those are fine idle temps for your current setup. I don't see a problem there.

Did you encounter any problem?

No, I just need to clarify this, so thank you all for the answers :)
I'll stick with the two 120mm then, since the 80mm don't have a huge impact...

Herr B

Commendable
May 29, 2020
Your temps in idle are not an issue.
Are you having issues under load?

From my point of view there are multiple solutions:
  • Intake front and back, out side
  • in side, out front & back
  • intakes with pressure optimized fans (often used for watercooling radiators), outtake flow optimized fan.
  • Im side and back, out big front.
As long as there are no temp issues, not an issue imho

Bigger fans = less noise. In the main point

Lg.

TRENDING THREADS