one 8400gs versus two 7800gt in SLI mode

WilleSLI

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Ok - I searched the archives and found no hits on this ...

Which of these two setups would return a higher game frame rates
1) using 1 GeForce 8400GC
or
2) using two GeForce 7800gt cards in SLI mode

I tend to think the SLI but short of running bench marks its just speculation.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
A single 7800GT would pound the 8400, so 7800GTs in SLI is a no brainer. I wouldn't recommend either setups, unless you're getting them for a very low price.

WilleSLI

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
I am starting to see the Duh level of my question ....

But I have all three cards and I am going to place one configuration in my daughters PC - the highest level game she plays is SIMS2. I know the 8400gs will do it I just though it might be fun for dad to play and expand her options at the same time ;-)

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Sli is retarded for those cards especially if you dont have the mobo already.

You need to start looking into mainstream cards if you want to play new games.

I see people buy SLI mobos every day for $300+ and they buy one card. By the time they save for nother card something way better is out and they buy one card again. It would be smatter for people to buy a sub $100 mobo and throw the saved money with the money they have for GPU and buy the best single card.

Glad to see you realized it and we didn't have to explain it.

Why not be a good dad and share. You each get a 7800GT. That card will play the Sims pretty well and for the most part handle any new games, except Crysis, at playable levels. If you aren't an avid gamer you will be fine with one. The 8400 isn't really a gaming card what so ever. I wouldn't give my kid, well when he is old enough, that setup when I have 2 older gaming cards laying around.

Earn some points and give her one of the Gt's