"One button to rule them All" Help with wiring LED latching switch to 5v devices.

Joseph Parkhurst

Reputable
Oct 20, 2016
I am attempting to wire a single 12v LED latching switch to power on and off 4 separate 5v devices. "One button to rule them all". The devices are spectrum analyzers that use 11 watts at 2.2 amps each. I'm assuming I should use a relay.

So my 1st question, if my relay assumption is correct, is can I run 12volts to the LED switch for maximum brightness from it, and then run 5volts to the relay to power the devices. I'm assuming the latching switch will trigger the relay to supply 5volts to the devices, is that correct?

My 2nd question is about how to wire the latching switch to the relay. It is a 5 pin latching switch. with NC, NO, and Closed tabs and also obviously +/- tabs. So far I have 12volts coming off of PC's PSU powering the LED on the latching switch ( so that the LED is always on). Then I have 5 volts coming off of PC's PSU to the relay tab marked 30 and grounded on tab marked 85. From here on is where my confusion lies. Do I only need to run the "closed" tab on the latching switch to the other ground on the relay and then the other load on the relay to the devices with nothing connected to the NC and NO tabs on the latching switch?
Thanks in advance to any help someone can give me.

Joseph, electrical circuits are drawn, not spoken. Use a dedicated schematic drafting program, or even a piece of paper, to draw your schematic.
- each of your devices has a spec sheet. Use them.
- I would rather recommend having an ON/OFF relay for each of slave devices. Will make your life eaiser.
- You're mentioning PC PSU - is this powering a real PC as well?