[SOLVED] One computer in the house slows down every other device

aetheroo

Prominent
Nov 13, 2020
Hello, I am brand new to this networking thing and i dont know how things work for this

My dad's computer is causing this problem, whenever its turned on, our internet somehow slows down, I have tried limiting its bandwith but it still somehow still slows everything down
There is no problem with the internet whatsoever when his pc is off so i dont have any other ideas
any help?

If it helps, my dads pc is still running windows 7

thank you

Solution
If that is your dad's computer it is using a wireless connection.

The computer is getting its' DHCP IP address from the Router 192.168.0.1.

You blocked out the provided DHCP IP address (which is not necessary to do). However, you do want to ensure that no other devices on your home network are using that same DHCP IP address.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-...vate IP address is,a home or business network.

You can easily search for and find similar links and explanations.

I also noted that your dad's computer is using a USB wireless dongle. Is that USB dongle plugged into the back of the computer? In any case, try using a USB cable extension to raise the USB...

Ralston18

Titan
Wired or wireless?

How many network devices: wired and wireless?

How did you try to limit his computer's bandwidth? What exactly did you do?

Router: make and model? Who has full admin rights?

There could be a number of reasons for the slowdown problem.

My first thought is an IP address conflict. Or a misconfigured network adapter.

I would not expect your dad to be happy about you limiting his bandwidth or otherwise making network changes for whatever reasons.

For the most part you need to work with your dad to resolve the problem(s). If you do the wrong thing you could take the entire network down.

On your dad's computer run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.

aetheroo

Prominent
Nov 13, 2020
Wired or wireless?

How many network devices: wired and wireless?

How did you try to limit his computer's bandwidth? What exactly did you do?

Router: make and model? Who has full admin rights?

There could be a number of reasons for the slowdown problem.

My first thought is an IP address conflict. Or a misconfigured network adapter.

I would not expect your dad to be happy about you limiting his bandwidth or otherwise making network changes for whatever reasons.

For the most part you need to work with your dad to resolve the problem(s). If you do the wrong thing you could take the entire network down.

On your dad's computer run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.
All of our devices in this house is using wireless

14 devices sharing a 40 MBps connection

I'm using TP Link's built in bandwith control feature on their default gateway page.

Router : TP LINK WR 840N and im extending the connection using a TP LINK WR 740N, with or without the extender the problem still persists.

Me and my dad has full admin rights and he's left it up to me to patch this problem up which I dont have any ideaabout this.

Here is the computers ipconfig result (i've blocked out some things but i dont know what other things i should censor out)

Ralston18

Titan
If that is your dad's computer it is using a wireless connection.

The computer is getting its' DHCP IP address from the Router 192.168.0.1.

You blocked out the provided DHCP IP address (which is not necessary to do). However, you do want to ensure that no other devices on your home network are using that same DHCP IP address.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-...vate IP address is,a home or business network.

You can easily search for and find similar links and explanations.

I also noted that your dad's computer is using a USB wireless dongle. Is that USB dongle plugged into the back of the computer? In any case, try using a USB cable extension to raise the USB dongle up and away from the back of the computer. Objective being to generally improve wireless reception and, more importantly, transmission via that wireless adapter. Keep a steady signal.

If the dongle feels very warm or even hot, then the dongle may be failing. Check by feel when the computer has been off for awhile. Then continually and carefully continue to check after booting up and successfully getting connected to the network. Hot will be quite apparent.

Another immediate issue is the Lease time. Change the Lease time on the router to at least 7 days (168 hours).

If your ISP does not provide IPv6 - disable IPv6.

Next: physical connectivity (line diagram, typical home network) Where ----> indicates an Ethernet connection.

ISP == Coax, DSL, fiber ==> Modem ---> [WAN Port] WR 840 Router [LAN port] ----> wired devices with one LAN port --->[LAN] WR 740 [LAN] ---> other wired devices (but there are none: no printers, NAS boxes, internet TVs, etc..

Correct?

And, as I understand there is ~~~ (wireless) ~~~> connectivity to 14 devices total.

Where does your dad's computer "fit in".

Edit and correct my line diagram as necessary.

Do both routers have the same IP address (192.168.0.1)? If not, what IP address is each router using? Which router do you expect that your dad's computer is connecting to?

Only one router (the WR 840) should be provided DHCP IP addresses to network devices. DHCP should be disabled on the 740 router.

Use the following TP Link to check your current network configuration.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/357/

Solution

aetheroo

Prominent
Nov 13, 2020
Sorry for the late reply, The dongle is not failing and TP-Link's Lease time maximum is 2 Days so i've set it to that
Meanwhile

ISP == Coax, DSL, fiber ==> Modem ---> [WAN Port] WR 840 Router [Wireless] ~> Every other device in the house including my dad's computer ~> [Wireless] WR 740 [LAN] ---> My own computer

The main router is using the 192.168.0.1 IP address and the WR 740 is using 192.168.0.102 (which i've checked is not used by any devices in the house except for the router) and My dad's computer is connecting to the main router. I have set up the bridged connection as close as possible to the guide link