One computer on the network using it's own modem

Pudster

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016
Hi all, this is one of those things that is just beyond my knowledge.

I have setup a network with 2 modem/routers on it, all works well, but I have decided to just connect one of the modems direct to one of the computers on the network, so I would have a network with one modem/router and all computers on that network access the internet from it but one of the computers on this same network will have a second NIC with a direct cable to another modem without using a router (as I only want that computer to access that modem) but how do I setup the computer on NIC 1 to access the full network but on NIC 2 to access the internet can this be done...?

If anything isn't clear please tell me and I will do better to explain what it is I want.

can a computer using windows 8 be configured to access the internet on a specific NIC even though there is another internet connection on the network, or am I best just using 2 routers with the 2 modems.

Solution
You would setup NIC 1 with a static IP address and NO DEFAULT GATEWAY. You setup the modem for NIC2 to have a different private network than NIC 1. You let NIC 2 DHCP. You may still run into issues, depending on the OS. Some versions of Windows will treat a network without a default gateway as PUBLIC so file sharing and some other features won't work.

kanewolf

Titan
You would setup NIC 1 with a static IP address and NO DEFAULT GATEWAY. You setup the modem for NIC2 to have a different private network than NIC 1. You let NIC 2 DHCP. You may still run into issues, depending on the OS. Some versions of Windows will treat a network without a default gateway as PUBLIC so file sharing and some other features won't work.

Solution