[SOLVED] One Core on Corei7-5960X Overheating while rest are fine.

Oct 17, 2021
Hello,

So I woke up to my computer acting really weird, Fans blowing screen flickering/tearing every now and then. I checked the temperatures on things and noticed one of my cores was running at over 100c while the others ranged 40-59c. Can't figure out what is causing this, I've updated the Bios firmware, ran virus scans(nothing). It does this Idling and nothing running. Please see the image below and let me know if you guys have any ideas.

CPUPROB.png

Thanks in advance!
Timmy

Solution
It's idling at that? Sounds like the cooler has failed. By failed, I mean:
-thermal paste has dried out
-gpu sag, causing cooler cold plate to mate with the die unevenly.
For it to be that high when the gpu's not doing anything, it's one of those 2 or both.
D

Deleted member 362816

It possible the sensor is just bad I have seen similar issues in the past. If it doesn't effect performance I would ignore it or if it bothers you that much if in warranty RMA it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Why are you running both hwinfo and hw monitor?
Where's the actual individual core temperatures? The 5960X has 8 cores/16 threads.
Your screenshot of hwinfo is of various sensors across the motherboard; T1, down to CPU(PECI).
Ditto for hw monitor, Temperature #1 - 6.

Oct 17, 2021
I was just running different ones to see if I got same readings.

I just checked RealTemp and it shows my CPU is fine and not overheating any threads there.

I am still experiencing Screen tearing/flickering at times. I noticed performance drop and visual issues. My fans are still going full speed. Maybe it is a sensor issue but I don't know why my monitors tearing every 20-30 secs and performance seems to be a little laggy.

Thanks for the quick responses,
Appreciate you guys!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Difficult to say without something to look at. The flickering is likely graphics.
Close the browser and all monitoring software before running it.
When it's finished, it'll take you to the results page. You then link your results like this: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/45636327
Also, post the make and model of the power supply - that's one of the parts UBM can't detect.

Oct 17, 2021
Difficult to say without something to look at. The flickering is likely graphics.
Close the browser and all monitoring software before running it.
When it's finished, it'll take you to the results page. You then link your results like this: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/45636327
Also, post the make and model of the power supply - that's one of the parts UBM can't detect.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/47145181

looks like my Video card is the issue

Now im seeing my video card fans are running at 100%

and idle GPU temp is 91c

Maybe its time I upgrade my Titan X, i had 2 the other started overheating too 6 months ago. Is it worth selling them in this condition? They work they just ovearheat but I'm sure someone with some know how could fix them. The pump went out on the other one they are Titan X Hybrids and have built in pumps.

Any suggestions on how to fix this issue or maybe my pump on my other one. It may be the pump on this one just finally went out last night.

Open to suggestions and thanks for helping me narrow this issue down to my GPU instead of my CPU like i had originally thought. You guys have been very helpful.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021
How's the card's operating temperatures look?
Just for reference: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/172820/evga-gtxtitanx-12288-150320
Thermal Limits
Rated: 83.0C(drops clocks to try and reduce temperatures)
Max: 91.0C(shuts off if it sits there long enough)

Have you tried rolling back to an older driver? How about removing the card, blowing out the PCIe slot, and putting it back in?
its idle at 90-91 it hasnt shut off its been there for a hour or so.

Ill shut it off remove card and see if i can blow out the PCIe slot as you suggest

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's idling at that? Sounds like the cooler has failed. By failed, I mean:
-thermal paste has dried out
-gpu sag, causing cooler cold plate to mate with the die unevenly.
For it to be that high when the gpu's not doing anything, it's one of those 2 or both.

Solution