Question One Core Spiking to 100%

SH Gaming

Reputable
Oct 2, 2020
I have recently have had a problem with one of my cores out of the twelve spiking, then holding at 100% for about 30 seconds. According to HWMonitor, it is core #1 that spikes to 100% and only that core. I have it happen when gaming and even just watching youtube and it is always just core #1. My audio also goes to 144p potato audio and my computer lags itself so hard when it happens. I am curious whether or not this is my CPU finally killing itself after the torture it’s been under. Would it make sense to replace my processor? Thanks!

Specs:
Ryzen 5 2600 (OC to 4.0GHz)
Asrock B450 pro 4 ATX Motherboard
EVGA G3 Spuernova 650W PSU
MSI Radeon RX580 GPU (running slight OC)
250GB Samsung m.2 SSD
Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD
WD Green 2TB HDD
Seagate Berracuda 2tb HDD

Last edited:
I have recently have had a problem with one of my cores out of the twelve spiking, then holding at 100% for about 30 seconds. According to HWMonitor, it is core #1 that spikes to 100% and only that core. I have it happen when gaming and even just watching youtube and it is always just core #1. I am curious whether or not this is my CPU finally killing itself after the torture it’s been under. Would it make sense to replace my processor? Thanks!

Specs:
Ryzen 5 2600 (OC to 4.0GHz)
Asrock B450 pro 4 ATX Motherboard
EVGA G3 Spuernova 650W PSU
MSI Radeon RX580 GPU (running slight OC)
250GB Samsung m.2 SSD
Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD
WD Green 2TB HDD
Seagate Berracuda 2tb HDD

Hey there,

So, what's happening there is abnormal. If the task is light enough you would expect all your cores to boost to 3.9ghz. But for apps that only use one core then yes, you will see spikes like that.

Run something like Cinebench R23 and run both the single core test and the multicore test. Post the scores here.

ALso, just for your own info, your CPU has 6 logical cores. Each core can run 2 threads. So your CPU is a 6c/12t one. It doesn't have 12 logical cores.

SH Gaming

Reputable
Oct 2, 2020
For CPUz my multi thred score was 3496.7 and my single thread was 360.4, which seems slightly low given I have the CPU overclocked a bit, but it could be the software.
My cinebench r23 multi core score was 7061 and my single core score was 1019.

SH Gaming

Reputable
Oct 2, 2020
Same thing happened twice yesterday. The same one spiked to 100% and held it for like 30 or so seconds while watching YouTube and again when I was on a game. It happens so randomly that stress tests don't do it justice