One cpu cooler two different fans

kevinligilbert

Prominent
Sep 17, 2017
So I am planning on buying the hyper 212 led because it's on sale and I'm thinking of using the $10 I save to buy a extra fan for it but I can't find the same model fan so I'm planning on getting the sickleflow fan instead but it has more fins than the 212s and there thinner too,so would that negatively effect airflow in any way?

Solution

Yes. The fans will fight each other. Its not likely to be to a meaningfully degree but this is not an ideal situation. Which ever one is stronger will have to either suck air or force air through the weaker one. You are better off matching fans.

As someone who has used several 212 EVOs I can tell you adding a second fan is worth 1-2 degree drop in temps (using nicer fans for both fans).

Lapping the...

Yes. The fans will fight each other. Its not likely to be to a meaningfully degree but this is not an ideal situation. Which ever one is stronger will have to either suck air or force air through the weaker one. You are better off matching fans.

As someone who has used several 212 EVOs I can tell you adding a second fan is worth 1-2 degree drop in temps (using nicer fans for both fans).

Lapping the heatsink however was worth 5 C drop at both idle and full load for me on my 4690k machine:

evo212.jpg

Solution