Question One flashing monitor on a 2 monitor system.

garryash

Distinguished
May 16, 2012
I have a Palit GeForce GTX 980 installed in my desktop. I t has behaved perfectly since I installed it (3 years ?) Over the last month I have been having prblems with it at startup. I run 2 monitors from it. One on mini diplay port and the other on HDMI. For the past few weeks when I switch on the main monitor displays correctly but the second one alternates between the desktop picture and a black screen. I have tried it with 2 different monitors with the same result. I have swapped the leads around and tried different leads and get the same problem. The drivers have been updated to the latest and I have also tried previous driver. Still get the same problem. After between 15 -30 minutes it "usually" sorts itself out and stays OK until I turn it off and back on. Anyone any ideas please?

Lutfij

Titan
Mind sharing the specs to your build, like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

include the age of your PSU and the version for your OS. Did you use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers prior to reinstalling them with different versions(last known stable)?

You might want to also check and see which BIOS version you're currently on and if you have any updates pending.

garryash

Distinguished
May 16, 2012
Herewith requested info.
CPU - i7 - 7700K 4.2 (2017)
MOBO - Asus Strix Z270F (2017)
SSD - WD Blue Nand M2 SATA 1 Tb (2019)
GPU - Palit GTX 980 (2017)
PSU - XFX 850W XTS Gold fully modular (2017)
Memory - Corsair 2x16GbVengence DDR4 (2017)
OS - win - 10
Chassis / case - Bitfenix Merc Alpha mid tower. (2014)
BIOS = 1301X 64 (latest)

Last edited:
I bought my GTX 980 the day they hit the market and also run 2 monitors. Second monitor would at random times just black out, replaced cables and even swapped monitors with another computer. Ended up replacing the GPU with a 2080 ti back in June on 2019 but still had the 2 monitor issue. Finally replaced the 1.5 year old EVGA 550w G2 psu with a 750w and havnet had any issues since then.

If you can try and barrow another PSU from a friend and see if that solves the issue.

garryash

Distinguished
May 16, 2012
Took out the GPU and used the MOBO graphics - used different leads - same problem. So at least I know not to spend money on a new GPU ! Solution is to start the PC when I get up and let it sort otself out while I have breakfast !!