justaguy

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
Hey all. I think that I made a mistake. I just built a rig for my father-in-law and while formatting c to install Windows, the thermal sensor kicked in and shut 'er down. CPU (Athlon XP 1700+ with bundled cooler) was running 80C. The problem is that the case is a "Mini-Mid" and the power supply ends up about 1/2 inch from the CPU cooler==no clean, cool air. Is there an easy fix for this? The only two things I can think of are kinda radical

1. Dremel the steel side off the PSU, allowing air to be pulled in.

2. Cut a hole in the top of the case and put an intake fan right above the cooler.

If there's a better way, please let me know before I mangle this project!!! Thanx

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
When you posted this in another forum, I recommended you put in a power supply with 120mm exhaust fan on the bottom. I stand by the recommendation.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dstell

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
I agree with Crashman, that would seem to be one of the best options. You could go for a higher performance heatsink/fan of course. But if the temp is getting that high, I can't help but think that something else isn't right. I would make sure that you don't have too much thermal paste on top of the core and you are seating it well. It sure doesn't sound like you are getting any air flow.

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
A good way to know if what's holding you back is the heat sink or the airflow is if the heat sink itself gets hot or just warm. If it's just warm I'd say that the thermal paste isn't applied just right.

Roses are <font color=red>red</font color=red>, violets are <font color=blue>blue</font color=blue>, post something stupid and I won't reply to you!

Axeman2003

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2003
Make sure you are using Arctic Silver 3 paste and the application of the paste on the CPU die should be so thin you can almost see through it. Rub it in to the heatsink in all directions then wipe off! Also maybe change the fan to a higher rated unit (i would recommend the aeroflow, i have one myself 2000+ 50deg c under full load)

justaguy

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
Thanks for the ideas, everybody. When I get home, I'll give the HSF a do over. I may have put too much on, but can too much grease really cause a temp that high? I understand that in large quantities, the grease will not conduct, but 80C is a pretty good temp to not conduct heat at. Yet considering the 40-45 degree difference in case temp and cpu temp, maybe that's it. I'll give it a shot. Case mods are not out of the question. (Might end up with a blow hole right above the HSF). I am also gonna go ahead and try out a different PSU with two fans (as the Mighty Crashman suggested), although I am worried that two fans pulling air from the sam place (they'll be about .5 in. apart and trying to blow opposite directions) may not improve the situation. Keep the ideas flowing-I will try anything to not have this suck!

G

Captain Obvious says that thermal grease DOES conduct heat, but not as good as the metal of the heatsink!

All you need is a razor thin layer, enough to fill the microscopic gaps between the two surfaces!

<b><font color=red>Captain Obvious To The Rescue!!!</font color=red></b>

bstrackany

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2003
80C is really high. My guess is that it's not airflow...it's a poorly-seated HSF. Try running the comp with the cover off, maybe with a box fan blowing in. If temps are still high, then you need to reseat your HSF.

I built a computer w/ a similar case as yours (2100+ XP TbredB) where the PSU is sideways & an inch or so above the stock HSF. Temps were a bit high (nowhere near 80C tho), so I swapped in a low profile HSF (http://www.svc.com/narcoslsipro.html). No other case fans, and temps now max around 50C load, which is fine. So you could get a lower HSF, which means it can get to more air. Then stick a case fan or two in there to ensure there's airflow, & hopefully you'll be set.

Also, if the PSU runs really hot, then you may want to get a diff one. But I'd still focus on the HSF first.

bstrackany

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2003
I re-read your post & if there's really 1/2 inch between the HSF & PSU, then airflow could be an issue, esp. if you feel the heatsink & the actual heatsink is very hot...cool heatsink==poorly mounted.

But anyhow, get a lower HSF & it'll help a lot..a better PSU is great, but I think it would still either block air, or, w/ a two-fan model, pull cool air away from the HSF (which usually blows air down onto the CPU).

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bstrackany on 10/08/03 02:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>