Question One key press generates endless repeating

Amossss

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
Hi

I had an old keyboard where sometimes one key click generated an endless repeating of that click. Something like Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

I had to click on other keys and backspace until it stopped, until the next time it occurred. Because the keyboard was old, I thought it was a keyboard problem so I bought a new one (logitech), the simplest one.

It took 2-3 days until the problem happened again. I started wondering if it's not the keyboard's problem but something else, maybe with the OS/driver etc... Not sure if related, but sometimes the mouse (which is still old and logitech) is not responding for several seconds and then it is released and continue working with no problem.

What can I do to check the source of this problem?
Thanks

Ralston18

Titan
Windows 10?

Try running the build in Windows 10 Troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Try "WIN" + "I" > Devices > Typing and "WIN" + "I" > Ease of Access > Keyboard to check the available configuration options.

If you play games check for any custom keyboard configurations that cause repeating key clicks.

Download the applicable keyboard drivers via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure as applicable.

Amossss

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
Thanks

The troubleshooter found nothing to do

ease of access -> keyboard: I see nothing related to the problem. On Friday it happened several times, but since then it didn't happen, so I'm not sure what's going on. It took 2-3 days since I bought the new keyboard until the problem occurred for the first time.

I don't play games.

In Device manager I see "HID keyboard device" and Windows is saying this is the best one for my keyboard (Logitech).

Logitech site: https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024694614--Downloads-Keyboard-K120 is saying there are no downloads for this product.

Amossss

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
After some quiet time the problem has returned...

I work regularly where at some point, with no previous alert, a certain key click generates endless reactions of the same key click. The key itself is not stuck or anything, it's as if it remembers the last "action" and repeats it.

The last one was a CTRL+Z! yeah, it actually remembered the combination and started CTRL+Z my actions like crazy...

Another time was alt+tab combination... and you what how it shows when that happens

Please help me with this one!
Thanks

Last edited: