• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question One keyboard and mouse over multiple PC's and different sets of monitors

simoncs

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Hi
I am wondering how I could best achieve this without spending a fortune.

Scenario 1
Laptop - work or personal ( not connected at same time)
Connects to large curved monitor 3480x1440
Ethernet
Speakers
(I know I could achieve this via a docking station that supports 4k)

Scenario 2
2 x desktop PC's (permanently connected)
2x smaller monitors
Either one pc on each monitor or one pc across both monitors
( I know I could achieve this with a kvm switch)

How can I share one mouse and keyboard across both scenarios? Can I link the kvm switch to the docking station?
Any suggestions on solutions and hardware?

Thanks

How can I share one mouse and keyboard across both scenarios? Can I link the kvm switch to the docking station?
Any suggestions on solutions and hardware?

Thanks
You don't want a kvm switch since every scenario already has its own monitors.
you want an KM switch only were you hook up a mouse and keyboard and share them to two systems as long as they have a USB port.

simoncs

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
You don't want a kvm switch since every scenario already has its own monitors.
you want an KM switch only were you hook up a mouse and keyboard and share them to two systems as long as they have a USB port.
thanks - didn't know they existed. Does that allow for use of dual monitors to one pc though as well as one monitor per pc?

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
There’s a program I think it’s called synergy and it’s exactly for that scenario it allows you to use one keyboard and mouse across several systems

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS