[SOLVED] One Keyboard/Mouse Two PC’s

silenthunt316

Prominent
Mar 12, 2020
Good morning everyone, hope ever Is well. Guys I need some help with something that I’ve been scratching my head with recently. So to begin I’m a streamer on twitch, I run a dual pc set up with two mice and two keyboards. I want to do something to show the keybinds on my screen (OBS). So I heard about something called KVM Switch. It’s something that enables me to use one MnK. But my question is will doing that drain a lot of power from my gaming rig? I wouldn’t want to lose performance from doing that.

Sorry for the long message, if anyone has an answer or advice it would be greatly appreciated 😁

Solution
A KVM is it's own powered unit. You shouldn't note any performance decrease at all. There MIGHT (and I stress, "might"), be a tiny bit of latency, but in all the KVMs I've used over the years, I've not noted any.

-Wolf sends

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
If you don't need the monitor part of a KVM, a USB switcher will suffice. I got this: https://www.aten.com/us/en/products/usb-&-thunderbolt/peripheral-switches/us224/
1 mouse+keyb, connected to my PC and Raspberry Pi. 1 buttonclick on the attached wired remote and RPI is receiving the input. Click again, it's back to PC.

KVMs are expensive. You can get em cheap, if you run a monitor with VGA but who has that? Otherwise it is 150-200 $, starting price.
That USB thing is 30 $. I don't need monitor part. If or when I do, I just connect HDMI cable to 2nd monitor and hook it up to RPI. I really don't anymore. It was only useful for the initial install of the OS on RPI. Now I use both monitors for my PC.