One long beep - 2 short beeps - repeat

Mustii34

Commendable
May 31, 2016
Hello everyone,

I've got a weird error with my PC. I bought all the parts new and assembled it myself and yes, I have built many computers before. I'm getting a really weird issue though with the 4th DIMM slot. I can get the computer to start perfectly with RAM sticks on DIMM 1, 2 and even 3 but as soon as something goes into the 4th DIMM slot, I get one long beep, 2 short beeps then a repeat. I've confirmed it's my RAM causing the error. Before I go out and buy new sticks of RAM, is there any way I can fix this error?

Specs:
i7 6600
DDR4 2133MHz G.skill ripjaws (4gb x 4)
Asus h170M-plus
GX750W PSU

slyverine

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016
had an issue with my pc when i built with the RAM that i connected it to the slots, it would run with 2 wouldn't run with 4 . Changed motherboard and had the same issue. A Bios update solved it. Must be something wrong with the voltage or timing? try a BIOS update.

Mustii34

Commendable
May 31, 2016

Tried that, that's how I got the one long beep followed by 2 short beeps. Filling all DIMM however leaves me with no BIOS beep and no POST.

Mustii34

Commendable
May 31, 2016

I also thought this would be the issue.. It wasn't. I updated to the latest version today and that's the only reason I started getting the beeps through BIOS. Before the computer would just stay on and not provide any beeps what-so-ever.

Mustii34

Commendable
May 31, 2016

Wish I could. Problem is it was working before. Then randomly stopped, and for all I know it'd start working again in future. Do you think I'd need to take it back? Nothing wrong with the RAM right?

Mustii34

Commendable
May 31, 2016

Went ahead to do further testing, tried each RAM in each DIMM slot, all worked everywhere including DIMM 4 except one stick of RAM which didn't work anywhere. I've labelled it with clear. removable tape. Now to test If I can get 2 RAM running at the same time.

Thoughts on having only 3 sticks in there rather than 4?

Mustii34

Commendable
May 31, 2016

Went ahead to do further testing, tried each RAM in each DIMM slot, all worked everywhere including DIMM 4 except one stick of RAM which didn't work anywhere. I've labelled it with clear. removable tape. Now to test If I can get 2 RAM running at the same time.

Thoughts on having only 3 sticks in there rather than 4?

UPDATE:

3 RAM is running. DIMM 1, 3, 4 is working fine. Turns out it was the one bad stick of RAM haha

Mustii34

Commendable
May 31, 2016

Sorry to keep this thread going.. but what just happened.
It turned off and refuses to turn on at all now. Motherboard is getting power (Green light shown on mobo) but none of the switches are triggering anything?
Ugh. This is such a pain.