[SOLVED] One long beep 3 short ones

computerwonder

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2012
Been having intermittent issues with the PC turning on fans spinning and keyboard lighting up but no display. Motherboard sounds 1 long beep with 3 short ones. Think my bios is an AMI one and im unsure if this points to a RAM issue? This is completely random can be fine for days and a restart or a shut down causes it when i next boot up. I've swapped out this list of parts and im still getting this issue. I do have XMP enabled in my bios and I'm unsure if its linked to that as I was running into issues with the ram not been the correct speed.

I have ran memtest and it comes back all clear.

GPU
Mobo
PSU
Various display port cables

Have checked and triple checked everything is plugged in correctly.

Current PC specs:

Gigabyte B550I Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance RGB pro 3200mhz
Ryzen 5 3600
AMD 5700XT Gigabyte OC
Corsair SFX 750 Platinum psu

Solution
Been having intermittent issues with the PC turning on fans spinning and keyboard lighting up but no display. Motherboard sounds 1 long beep with 3 short ones. Think my bios is an AMI one and im unsure if this points to a RAM issue? This is completely random can be fine for days and a restart or a shut down causes it when i next boot up. I've swapped out this list of parts and im still getting this issue. I do have XMP enabled in my bios and I'm unsure if its linked to that as I was running into issues with the ram not been the correct speed.

GPU
Mobo
PSU

Current PC specs:

Gigabyte...

Sithtiger

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
This should be a RAM beep code since your manual says it's an AMI BIOS, but it's possible other components like the GPU could be a problem. I'd start by reseating your RAM. Go ahead and reseat your GPU too. If it's still happening, remove all DIMM's except one. If that works fine, then it's probably the order in which the DIMM's are set up. If it doesn't work, try every DIMM you have, just by itself. I doubt that all the DIMMs are bad and it's likely a DIMM (possibly more than one) that isn't seated completely.

Try looking at this troubleshooting checklist too while you're at it.

computerwonder

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2012
@Sithtiger thanks for the reply. I’ve reseated everything tonight all the power cables gpu ram cpu and I’m still getting this error. Ran memtest86 for 3 hours and didn’t report any errors however I’m close to swapping out the ram for some 3000mhz ram I have laying around however the issue is random and I can’t reproduce it which is very anoyying

Sithtiger

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
@Sithtiger thanks for the reply. I’ve reseated everything tonight all the power cables gpu ram cpu and I’m still getting this error. Ran memtest86 for 3 hours and didn’t report any errors however I’m close to swapping out the ram for some 3000mhz ram I have laying around however the issue is random and I can’t reproduce it which is very anoyying

So, did you find a solution to it? Did you try 3000 MHz RAM or was it something else?

Oct 8, 2020

GPU
Mobo
PSU

Current PC specs:

Gigabyte B550I Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance RGB pro 3200mhz
Ryzen 5 3600
AMD 5700XT Gigabyte OC
Corsair SFX 750 Platinum psu

1 long beep following 3 short beeps indicates extended memory failure. Remove the new memory if you've added to the computer. Reset the memory or swap the memory location. Then boot up again to see if it resolves. You can install another memory of the same category if you have access to it.
If all this process doesn't work I may suggest you to replace the memory.

Solution