Question One monitor losing input, dropping out in extended displays setting?

Dudeguyy

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
Hi all, posted this a few days ago with no help, I'll try here in the monitor section to see if anyone has had a similar issue running two monitors in extended mode. Current components:

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580
RAM: ADATA 16GB DDR4 3200 MHz
PSU: Thermaltake Smart 750W 80+ Bronze PSU
Mobo: ASRock AB350M Pro4

Rig has been running well lately until a recent update to the RX 580 drivers using Radeon Software. I am currently on driver 21.10.2 which is the latest recommended driver.

Seems like ever since this update, I've had issues running my two monitors via DP in an extended setup. Frequently the second will lose input leaving me with only one monitor. This happens in game when the GPU driver resets (i.e., when tweaking display settings or with resolution changes) as well as at system boot.

The very convoluted fix I've found is to go to Display Settings > Multiple Displays > Duplicate displays > Extend displays. If I go straight from Show Only on 1/2 (which is what I'm left with after one monitor drops out) to Extend displays the affected monitor stays off with no input. If I change to duplicate displays, it regains input and I can then switch to extended mode.

As I've said, this has only occurred since the latest GPU driver update.. I've tested both monitors using HDMI cable as well with the same issue occurring so I don't think it's a faulty DP cable but rather an internal issue. I've also tried updating my BIOS to the latest recommended version (5.90) and reinstalling latest GPU driver but issue occurred again as it had been before.

I've also had past GPU issues with this RX 580 with a persistent pink hue intermittently showing on my primary monitor after resolution changes (i.e., in game) that I've only been able to fix by resetting the GPU driver repeatedly (Win + Ctrl + Shift + B) or manually flipping the monitor on and off until it goes away. So my guess is something is going on with the GPU itself.

Any ideas? TIA!

Dudeguyy

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
Just tried updating chipset drivers and reducing secondary monitor to 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz in case 1440p at 144 Hz is too much for my RX 580 to handle running two monitors. No luck. The go to test seems to be a reboot - the second monitor appears to shut off right when the Windows login screen pops up on my primary monitor and I have to do the Display Settings fix above to reset things back to how I want them.

Also noted the following error message in Radeon Software:

"The system has detected a link failure and cannot set the requested resolution and refresh rate. Your display might not support the request resolution or there may be an issue with the cable connecting the display to your computer."