[SOLVED] One monitor turns off after Windows logo

Aug 16, 2021
Hello! Recently faced a problem with one of my 3 monitors, all of them are the same model Samsung S22D390H. GPU is GTX 970 Gainward. OS currently Windows 11 22000.132.

Main monitor just shuts down after showing BIOS boot splash screen and Windows loading logo. Some time ago the other monitor behave the same way, the solution that time was just plug the power off then plug it back in. This time things are different: I tried the solution that helped before, tried to switched the cables, tried connect over mini HDMI, DVI and tried all of 3 mini Display Port. Also tried to reinstall GPU drivers.

Then after multiple attempts it came back on BUT available resolutions were only 800x600 and 1024x768, in Device Manager it showed as Generic Non-PnP monitor. Spent several hours to find the solution online and ended up downloading Custom Resolution Utility + AW EDID Editor. Tried to export EDID .bin file from my working-fine monitor and import it to the problem one. This did not really helped or maybe did do something wrong, because I did it for the first time. Then I tried to search for drivers on Samsung website, did not find any for S22D390H, but I found for S24D390HL. Because at that point I had nothing to lose I installed the driver, added custom a custom resolution in NVIDIA Control Panel and... It worked finally. In Device Manager it shows as SD390_S24D390HL (HDMI) now.

FZm1iUJ.png

The main problem is when I turn off the PC the monitor shut itself down after initial boot as before and the temporary solution is every time to power cycle the monitor and waiting for it to pick up the signal from the PC, restart monitors with Custom Resolution Utility and add a custom resolution in NVIDIA Control Panel. All of them connected via HDMI to mini Display Port adapters, the problem monitor shows in Control Panel as Digital Display and under Connector info is DVI, not HDMI.

RqBcjBj.png

Before you say it is somehow related to Windows 11. I connected the monitor to Xbox and it worked straight away BUT the maximum available resolution was 640x480. Plus! Initial boot screen and BIOS shows in low resolution too. Another interesting thing: in Safe Mode it works every time.

It is the monitor issue, hardware or software I cant really tell and I dont know what to do next. Really hope you help me.

Little addition to the thread: also restarted the monitors with Custom Resolution Utility. Monitor with the problem did not turn on right away but then I clicked on Restart Diver and it came back on but the resolution was low... Had to manually change it to 1920x1080 again.

Solution
Any way to fix it by replacing the main chip and program it or something? Or its better just to get another monitor.
Unless you have skills/tools and can get schematics and a donor board, you would be better off getting a whole monitor with less investment and effort - they are not expensive enough to get into it.

I would get an upgrade.
If you tried moving/switching cables and GPU ports around, I would also try an older nVidia driver. Especially if the basic driver (in ms safe mode) works properly.
List full system specs for further advice.
For some reason, it seems that EDID is not transferred across from the display to the GPU driver and it can be any of the Monitor/Cable/Adapter/GPU Port/Driver...

Aug 16, 2021
If you tried moving/switching cables and GPU ports around, I would also try an older nVidia driver. Especially if the basic driver (in ms safe mode) works properly.
List full system specs for further advice.
For some reason, it seems that EDID is not transferred across from the display to the GPU driver and it can be any of the Monitor/Cable/Adapter/GPU Port/Driver...
Also tried different versions of drivers with no result :( No matter which device I connect the monitor to - It behaves the same way.

CPU is i7-4790K and 32 GB of DDR3 RAM, MB is ASUS H97-PRO GAMER.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021
I guess the control board in the monitor is to be retired. In Linux you have ways to force the signal output w/o EDID being read, not sure about windows and nVidia…

I see. Thanks for reply. Well... it is working at the moment. Yesterday the monitor did not turn on right away, only after restart with Custom Resolution Utility tool.

Aug 16, 2021
I guess the control board in the monitor is to be retired. In Linux you have ways to force the signal output w/o EDID being read, not sure about windows and nVidia…
A bit of an update. After many restarts the monitor turns on but custom 1920x1080 resolution outputs in YCbCr not RGB, i see the image in correct resolution but but all is yellowish and orange. Sometimes even custom resolution does not work properly and all turns to soapy grainy image. Any way to fix it by replacing the main chip and program it or something? Or its better just to get another monitor.

Aug 16, 2021
Unless you have skills/tools and can get schematics and a donor board, you would be better off getting a whole monitor with less investment and effort - they are not expensive enough to get into it.

I would get an upgrade.

Ye, planning to do an upgrade in the near future.

By the way. Tried to connect video cable from the GPU to AverMedia external card Live Gamer Extreme with passthrough feature. The problem monitor worked right away after first try. It looks like it just forgot it can output in 1920x1080.