One monitor working, fans running, gpu not detected

kmdewey

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Hi everybody, first time posting, thanks in advance for the help

I was having some issues with windows so i formatted my hard drive and re-installed a fresh windows OS. I was installing windows 7 so i had to unplug my 4T hard drive during the install (apparently W7 doesn't like installing on drive0 when there is a drive1), but aside from that, i didn't touch anything inside the box. After the fresh install I spent several hours updating all my drivers, to include my gpu drivers (amd catalyst omega suit + hydravision).

I never unplugged my monitors from the gpu and the main screen is working (second is not recognized), my motherboard does NOT have on-board video, BIOS is fine (didn't touch it), gpu fans are running, and gpu was working fine on previous OS install.

BUT; in my display setting I get "Generic PnP monitor on standard vga graphics adapter", my second monitor is not detected nor is my video card in the device manager...wtf?

Any suggestions??? I'm completely lost on this one. How can the gpu be working but... not working... driver issue is my only guess...

MoBo: ASUS M5A97 LE 2.0
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 PCI-e
HDs: 1T WD Blue, 4T Seagate Desktop HDD
RAM: 2X8G DDR3 1600
CPU: AMD FX4300 Quad 3.8GHz AM3+

note: everything else seems to be working just fine...

Solution
If you dont have a 2nd GPU then I would remove the current drivers then turn off the computer and remove the GPU, then fire up the computer with no display (let it run till it gets about to the desktop, then shutdown manually (holding the power button until it turns off) then reinstall the GPU and follow the last 2 steps I listed above.

WildCard999

Titan
EDIT: Noticed no onboard video, sorry. Do you have another GPU to try?
Try This:
-Turn off your computer and uninstall the GPU from the system.
-Turn on the computer and unistall the GPU drivers from the computer.
-Reinstall the GPU into computer but do not update the graphics (yet).
-Let windows install a basic driver for your GPU. It will do this automatically when you reach the desktop.
-Go into Device Manager and make sure the GPU is seen. If your GPU shows up under display devices then download the newest Drivers and Catalyst Control Center and you should be all set.

Let me know if you have any issues.

WildCard999

Titan
If you dont have a 2nd GPU then I would remove the current drivers then turn off the computer and remove the GPU, then fire up the computer with no display (let it run till it gets about to the desktop, then shutdown manually (holding the power button until it turns off) then reinstall the GPU and follow the last 2 steps I listed above.

Solution

kmdewey

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014

I can't remove the drivers because i can't find the video card in order to uninstall the drivers. At least that's the only way i know of. I've reinstalled the catalyst suit twice now, I'll try removing the gpu and reinstalling it after a reboot and then reinstall the software suit again...

WildCard999

Titan

The drivers should be located under Control Panel>Uninstall A Program.

kmdewey

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
OK, solution found! After removing and reinstalling the video card (with a monitorless boot between) and reinstalling catalyst suit I had the same problem.

Then I tried removing the HDMI (main monitor) cord from the video card, rebooted (with my second screen as my main) and reinstalled the catalyst suit and updated drivers. This fixed things, just plugged the HDMI back in and main monitor came online. All is working perfectly now

TL;DR - boot with only DVI monitor attached, install catalyst suit, update drivers, reboot (to finish driver install), and plug HDMI back in

WildCard999

Titan

Glad you got it to work!