One More Question Ben...

smith

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003

On the memory compatibility on my machine. My previous post was:

I have an old Gateway Athlon Select K7-950 (well 900 now, the 950 fried and
I bought a combo with same board and a 900mhz processor).
(http://support.gateway.com/support/srt/docs.asp?sn=0022493070). Was
wondering about the memory density. It says it comes with 16x8. Would 32x8
modules work with this motherboard? I looked on the site, I know a bit
about computers, but memory density issues aren't my strong point. Thanks.

My question now is: Do you know if this supports the new industry standard
of 32x4? My Bios string is: 62-0518-009999-00101111-070199-AMIBIOS,
version is 07.00.xx and the date is 06/26/01. I looked on the net, didn't
find anything helpful, looked on the Gateway spec site and didn't see
anything either. Figured I'd see if you knew before I bothered tech
support...since I got this machine from someone else and never transfered it
into my name I try not to actually ask them about it much :) I was looking
at 256mb sticks, there's no real price difference between the two density
types, both are $35-$40 a stick and I've already ordered the 32x8 ones
anyway since I know they will work, I'm just wondering out of curiosity
about the 32x4 ones, just in case I update to 512 sticks one day or
something. Thanks.

I would err on the conservative side and get the older 32x8 DIMMs.

You also need to check the specs on the motherboard chipset to determine the
maximum amount of memory the board will support. Not sure if Gateway has good
info there, but if it's a VIA chipset, the VIA web site will have terse and very
technical explanations of the capabilities of the chipset... Ben Myers