one more quick question

Ok thanks to your help I was able to get XP installed on my SATA drive and
the system booted up perfectly the first time. But now I have a quick
little problem that I can't seem to find a solution to... I have an older
data drive that I was using in a Win98 system that has all my backed up
work. When I hook it into the system the computer tries to boot from it
instead of the SATA drive. I tried going into the BIOS and setting the boot
device priority to the SATA then the IDE drive but then it wouldn't boot at
all. It's probably something simple that I'm not taking into
consideration, or maybe not. Any sugestions?

BP

"Carly" <carlya.nospam@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Ok thanks to your help I was able to get XP installed on my SATA drive and
> the system booted up perfectly the first time. But now I have a quick
> little problem that I can't seem to find a solution to... I have an older
> data drive that I was using in a Win98 system that has all my backed up
> work. When I hook it into the system the computer tries to boot from it
> instead of the SATA drive. I tried going into the BIOS and setting the
boot
> device priority to the SATA then the IDE drive but then it wouldn't boot
at
> all. It's probably something simple that I'm not taking into
> consideration, or maybe not. Any sugestions?

You might check to see if the data drive is jumpered to be a Slave and the
primary drive is set to be Master and that they are on the correct connector
positions on the IDE cable. Is there an OS on the data drive?

> You might check to see if the data drive is jumpered to be a Slave and
the
> primary drive is set to be Master and that they are on the correct
connector
> positions on the IDE cable. Is there an OS on the data drive?

well the primary drive is a SATA drive and thus not on the IDE cable.
The data drive doesn't have an OS installed on it and it's on an IDE
with a CD burner as a slave. I've changed the boot device priority in
the BIOS so that the SATA drive is second in line behind the floppy
drive with the IDE drive at third, but this didn't help.

> > You might check to see if the data drive is jumpered to be a Slave and
> the
> > primary drive is set to be Master and that they are on the correct
> connector
> > positions on the IDE cable. Is there an OS on the data drive?
> >
> well the primary drive is a SATA drive and thus not on the IDE cable.
> The data drive doesn't have an OS installed on it and it's on an IDE
> with a CD burner as a slave. I've changed the boot device priority in
> the BIOS so that the SATA drive is second in line behind the floppy
> drive with the IDE drive at third, but this didn't help.

I'm winging it now, not using the A8V DLX, looking at my manual for
P4C800-E. I'm guessing that the BIOS is auto detecting the IDE drive on the
EIDE channel and defaulting to that drive looking for a OS. There are two
places in the AWARD BIOS you could play with to see if you can get it to
skip the IDE device. The first is under the main menu under Primary IDE
Master/Slave settings. You might try changing AUTO to ARMD and see if it
will bypass the drive as though it were an ATAPI device. The second is under
"IDE Configuration" , "IDE Port Settings". You could try changing these
settings to see if it gets the configuration right.