One Motherboard Screw Hole Blocked

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018
I have an asus rog strix z390-e and nzxt h500. I didn’t install any standoffs and just put the motherboard in and screwed 8 holes but I realized the one in the very middle (under the cpu cooler) can’t be screwed because it looked like there was another screw that was screwed from the back of the case. I was confused but had no problems with booting, is that fine?

You are lucky that the motherboard booted. The standoffs provide protection from an electrical short to the case. It also provides protection from mechanical stress. The bottom of the motherboard isn't flat. Just screwing the motherboard down to the case can crack the motherboard without the standoffs.

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018

but can anybody tell me what to do? my case came with only one standoff with another piece idk and the motherboard isn’t in contact with the case that I can tell easily. Im a first time builder and this is not even my only problem :(

Here is a whole page of standoffs for sale. Or you can contact the retailer and have them provide the standoffs or return the case. The standoffs need to be installed.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=motherboard+standoffs&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018

doesnt my case have them pre installed?

I have an asus rog strix z390-e and nzxt h500. I didn’t install any standoffs and just put the motherboard in and screwed 8 holes

my case came with only one standoff

You stated that it came with only one standoff. You stated that you "screwed 8 holes". You said nothing about the standoffs being preinstalled. Most cases come with the standoffs in a bag.

If the standoffs are preinstalled, why ask your question?

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018

so i think you understood me wrong. the one standoff i said that came with the case is not preinstalled and came with a bag and the reason i asked the question is because i wanted to know if i needed to install any standoffs myself for my case and that one screw in the middle of my mobo that looks like it is populated but not like it was screwed normally, it looked like there was a screw kind of thing on the back of the case that populated that hole. Is that a better explanation of my question?

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018

all corners are screwed