Question One of my computers has a horrible microphone effect which cannot be disabled, but my laptop doesn't ?

Oct 29, 2021
Essentially, my gaming computer has this lingering issue with almost all of the microphones I plug into it. It has this HORRIBLE DREADFUL "Auto compression" Which, in my own words means when it detects a loud signal, it turns it ALL the way down, and then it takes 5 slow agonizing seconds for it to get back to normal volume. A good description of the 5 slow agonizing seconds, is it's like a buildup. It gets louder, louder louder and louder until it's at normal volume again. However, vice versa my laptop doesn't do this and it's completely fine. This confuses me because I reformated my gaming computer entirely just for this one issue however the issue still persists. Reformating my harddrive and OS made it so there wasn't much difference between my laptop and my computer in terms of applications so that experiment was thrown under the water, however I believe this is more of a physical issue than an OS one. Again, my laptop works completely fine and it legit gives me dopamine to hear my microphone in full quality and without the STUPID COMPRESSION!!!!!!!

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full gaming system hardware specs and OS information.

What audio components are installed? Make and model microphone(s)?

Are you able to reinstall the audio drivers? Manually download via the applicable manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure. (No third party driver installers/managers.)

Run the build in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Right click the small speaker icon that usually appears in the lower right screen corner. You should be presented with a menu list of audio related options that, in turn, lead to numerous windows, tabs, and properties. Check all first without making any changes. Make notes while doing so especially if something is not as expected or otherwise not understood. Could be just some audio device misconfiguration.

One immediate suggestion is to drill down via "Sounds" to the Equalizer.

FYI:

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/windows-10-equalizer-what-is-it-and-how-does-it-work/

Compare the audio configuration settings between laptop and gaming computer.

Oct 29, 2021
Ok, I'll make sure to do that for future posts. However, for now it's a ryzen 5 5600x and a rx5600xt b550 a pro motherboard. Audio components installed are mainly two different things with the same issue, an audio interface (Behringer UMC2) and a direct plug in from a channel strip to the 3.5 millimeter jack into the computer, both with identical results of the audio issue. Reinstalling the audio drivers simply does not do anything, manually downloading the drivers from the website gives me another issue, it's a low signal, another problem, a problem in which the laptop doesn't have without the drivers. Troubleshooters have been tested and have proved futile. After checking them all, there doesn't seem to be any concerning issues different from the laptop. Equilizer and all other sound effects do not show up on both tests with two different audio sources. Thank you for responding.