One of my drives is dying, how do I figure out which one?

Invrlose

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2012
I built my PC 4 years ago.

I have a 120GB Kingston HyperX for my OS and a 1TB Western Digital Black Caviar 7200RPM for storage.

When I boot up my PC the OS loads relatively fast, approximately 20 seconds... It's slowed down considerably from the 8 or 9 seconds from when I first built my PC. Once my PC has booted up, for the first minute or two programs like chrome and steam are slow to load, but they're stored on my hard disk.

Is there any program I can download to test their speeds and see which one is starting to fail? Or could both be failing? This kind of started pretty suddenly, and I have done a virus scan and there are no viruses, and no bloatware. Am I correct in assuming that SSD go from good performance to poor performance almost overnight in some cases?

Solution
they are not failing! drives get slower over time. try crystaldisk5 benchmark. it shows you your current ssd and hdd speeds. the longer the green bars the faster they are. but smaller/cheaper ssd's decrease in speed over time. hdd's will always start up programs relatively slow.

juusos

Reputable
May 21, 2015
they are not failing! drives get slower over time. try crystaldisk5 benchmark. it shows you your current ssd and hdd speeds. the longer the green bars the faster they are. but smaller/cheaper ssd's decrease in speed over time. hdd's will always start up programs relatively slow.

Solution