[SOLVED] One of my fans keep ramping up, dont know what one it is.

Kvahuest01

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
so this has been happening for a while now, ive tried to fix it and i got no where, heres what ive done
- removed cpu overclokc
-cleaned out the whole pc of dust
  • made sure all the fans are plugged into 4 pin slots
  • got new front fans after old ones broke.

i have the corsair h100iv2 with the stock fans as my CPU cooler
my three front fans are silent wings 3 2200rpm
then for my gpu i have a gigagyte windforce 2080.

Solution
OK, we'll clear up a couple details. I gather one of those case fans is plugged into the CHA_FAN3/W_PUMP header. For that header particularly, ensure that its "Switch" setting (manual, p.86) is set to CPU_OPT, not PUMP. Also for all three case fan headers, ensure that the Temp Source is set to Motherboard, not CPU, so it uses the correct temperature sensor to guide the automatic fan speed system.

Regarding case fan speed, I detect confusion between us. You spoke of setting fans to "silent, balanced and performance". I thought you meant you were making those settings in iCue, the Corsair utility to control the CPU cooler. IF, instead, you are talking about the case fan headers' "Chassis Fan Setting" in BIOS Setup, then I suggest you...
When fan is ramping up again, open your computer case and most likely you will instantly notice which fan it is. If not, will not harm to slow down them one by one with finger (but do not put finger in fan blades - only in center). Then you will soon find which fan is loudest. If fans have controlled rotation speed, it is worth to check fan control curve in BIOS or by motherboard manufacturer utility. Corsair AIO is connected to CPU fan connector I guess.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Krotow is right. But note this detail IF your investigation shows that the fan doing this is part of the H100i V2 system. The rad fans of that system are controlled by the Corsair iCue software tool, not by the mobo CPU_FAN configuration. So IF the odd fan is one of those rad fans, pursue that though iCue. (I assume you have connected the H100i V2 system as instructed in its manual.)

Reactions: Krotow

Kvahuest01

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
Krotow is right. But note this detail IF your investigation shows that the fan doing this is part of the H100i V2 system. The rad fans of that system are controlled by the Corsair iCue software tool, not by the mobo CPU_FAN configuration. So IF the odd fan is one of those rad fans, pursue that though iCue. (I assume you have connected the H100i V2 system as instructed in its manual.)
i think thats were i went wrong.... the original case fans cuouldnt reach chassis fan 1 so i had to put it into CPU fan 1....

If he have iCue installed.

i think thats were i went wrong.... the original case fans cuouldnt reach chassis fan 1 so i had to put it into CPU fan 1....

LOL, it happens. If your motherboard have other chassis fan connectors near to case fan cable (CHA_FAN2 , CHA_FAN3 etc.), you can use them for chassis fans.

Kvahuest01

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
If he have iCue installed.

LOL, it happens. If your motherboard have other chassis fan connectors near to case fan cable (CHA_FAN2 , CHA_FAN3 etc.), you can use them for chassis fans.
i can control them via icue, but cant set a custom fan curve, only silent, balanced and performance.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
OK, so things are NOT being controlled properly because they are not plugged in correctly.

I guess the starting pint is to get your case ventilation fans plugged in where they can WITHOUT using the CPU_FAN header. You MUST plug the cable from the PUMP unit (with 3 holes in it) into the CPU_FAN header. That is the only way that iCUE can control and check the performance of the pump. Then the RAD FANS for the H100i V2 system MUST be plugged into the two connectors on a cable coming out of the Pump. THAT is how iCue can control those fans AND tell you what they are doing. To do that, of course, you also must have the supplied cable connected from the pulp unit to a mobo USB2 header - that is the means of communicating control between iCue and the pump.

iCue has TWO types of control it employs for CPU cooling. Its main method is to control the speed of the rad fans, which controls the rate of heat removal from the rad. As a secondary method to keep the fan speeds in a good range, it can change the PUMP speed (which controls the rate of moving heat from the CPU to the rad) to one of three settings: Silent, Balanced, and Peformance. THAT is what you have been trying to manipulate. You have NOT been changing the fan speeds at all in iCue, because those fans are NOT connected to the pump outputs that iCue CAN control! The way you have it, iCue cannot control the rad fans, does NOT know what the pump or fan speeds are, and can NOT monitor the pump speed signal to detect FAILURE of the pump, if that ever happens.

So, re-connect the pump and rad fan cables as they should be. Ensure the connection to the mobo USB2 header is in place. Then we need to find where to plug in the case ventilation fan you had plugged into the CPU_FAN header. Tell us the maker and exact model number of your mobo, so we cah advise where to do that.

Reactions: Krotow

Kvahuest01

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
OK, so things are NOT being controlled properly because they are not plugged in correctly.

I guess the starting pint is to get your case ventilation fans plugged in where they can WITHOUT using the CPU_FAN header. You MUST plug the cable from the PUMP unit (with 3 holes in it) into the CPU_FAN header. That is the only way that iCUE can control and check the performance of the pump. Then the RAD FANS for the H100i V2 system MUST be plugged into the two connectors on a cable coming out of the Pump. THAT is how iCue can control those fans AND tell you what they are doing. To do that, of course, you also must have the supplied cable connected from the pulp unit to a mobo USB2 header - that is the means of communicating control between iCue and the pump.

iCue has TWO types of control it employs for CPU cooling. Its main method is to control the speed of the rad fans, which controls the rate of heat removal from the rad. As a secondary method to keep the fan speeds in a good range, it can change the PUMP speed (which controls the rate of moving heat from the CPU to the rad) to one of three settings: Silent, Balanced, and Peformance. THAT is what you have been trying to manipulate. You have NOT been changing the fan speeds at all in iCue, because those fans are NOT connected to the pump outputs that iCue CAN control! The way you have it, iCue cannot control the rad fans, does NOT know what the pump or fan speeds are, and can NOT monitor the pump speed signal to detect FAILURE of the pump, if that ever happens.

So, re-connect the pump and rad fan cables as they should be. Ensure the connection to the mobo USB2 header is in place. Then we need to find where to plug in the case ventilation fan you had plugged into the CPU_FAN header. Tell us the maker and exact model number of your mobo, so we cah advise where to do that.
My case fans are all plugged in properly now, cha-fan 1,2 and 3, i have the asrock z370 extreame4, so the silent,balanced and extreme isnt what it should be reading? When i set it to extreme i can visibly see the fans speed up and visa versa, it does list the RPM, think its currently on the 1950 rpm mark, will have to check tomorrow what they are though, and i most likely wont be able to take the PC apart till the weekend since i have college work.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
OK, we'll clear up a couple details. I gather one of those case fans is plugged into the CHA_FAN3/W_PUMP header. For that header particularly, ensure that its "Switch" setting (manual, p.86) is set to CPU_OPT, not PUMP. Also for all three case fan headers, ensure that the Temp Source is set to Motherboard, not CPU, so it uses the correct temperature sensor to guide the automatic fan speed system.

Regarding case fan speed, I detect confusion between us. You spoke of setting fans to "silent, balanced and performance". I thought you meant you were making those settings in iCue, the Corsair utility to control the CPU cooler. IF, instead, you are talking about the case fan headers' "Chassis Fan Setting" in BIOS Setup, then I suggest you set all three to "Standard", which will automatically manage those case fans' speeds according to your workload.

You don't mention it, but I assume you have made the connections for the H100i V2 system as recommended and are using iCue. There you should be able to see the speed of both the pump and the rad fans. Just a note of info. In BIOS Setup if you look at the CPU_FAN header, it will tell you that the CPU fan speed is nnnn RPM. Actually, that will be the PUMP speed, and it will always be fast and stable. The rad FAN speeds are only shown in iCue, and are controlled by that utility, not by BIOS.

Solution

Kvahuest01

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020

Regarding case fan speed, I detect confusion between us. You spoke of setting fans to "silent, balanced and performance". I thought you meant you were making those settings in iCue, the Corsair utility to control the CPU cooler. IF, instead, you are talking about the case fan headers' "Chassis Fan Setting" in BIOS Setup, then I suggest you set all three to "Standard", which will automatically manage those case fans' speeds according to your workload.

You don't mention it, but I assume you have made the connections for the H100i V2 system as recommended and are using iCue. There you should be able to see the speed of both the pump and the rad fans. Just a note of info. In BIOS Setup if you look at the CPU_FAN header, it will tell you that the CPU fan speed is nnnn RPM. Actually, that will be the PUMP speed, and it will always be fast and stable. The rad FAN speeds are only shown in iCue, and are controlled by that utility, not by BIOS.
it allows me to control change the pump/fan settings in the iCue software, silent,balanced and performance,AIO fans are on 1050rpm and pump is on 1920rpm.
chassis fans are set to mobo temp.