Question One of my games, World of Warcraft, loads everything extremely slowly

Tom_Ato

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
Hey, every time I've had issues with my PC, you guys have been able to help me solve it. I'm hoping this will be the same.

So World of Warcraft is on its 7th expansion. I played for a few months at the beginning of it (2018) before taking a break until December of 2019. This issue I have didn't pop up until this time around.

What changed? Well, I put WoW on its own new SSD after running out of space on my old one. WoW is also the type of game that constantly gets updated, so it could be an update conflicting with my PC.

I made a thread over on their Tech Support forums as well as a video on what I was experiencing (links will be at the bottom of the thread). The thread was simply a Support staff troubleshooting the issue, but eventually told me to make a ticket for a GM to handle it. The GM told me that my RAM at the time (8 gb) wasn't enough for World of Warcraft, and that my audio drivers were out of date. Upgrading my RAM to 12 gbs and updating my audio drivers did nothing.

I'm not really computer savvy, so I don't know how to figure out this issue myself. I've been using Resource Monitor to study the issue, but that just leaves me with information that I don't know what to do with.

I originally thought it was RAM. But 12 gbs is more than enough and Resource Monitor is showing plenty of ram free.

I suspect that the new SSD could be faulty, but I don't know of a way to test it this. I've installed WoW Classic on my SSD and it works flawlessly, but it's also WoW classic, a game that doesn't demand much. I will say that the SSD is showing constant 100% usage whenever the slow loading is occurring. I don't know if that is bad. I also don't know if that's an issue with the SSD or some other bottleneck.

I like the game a lot and want to continue playing it, but it's actually preventing me from enjoying it at all anymore.

WoW forum thread (Glitches and Phazite are me, as explained in there). DxDiag report is in there as well, for all my specs.
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/trying-to-figure-out-what-is-causing-slow-loading/422202

Video showcasing my issue:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwvymCssy-4

Screenshots of Task Manager Disk Usage during loading screens and the first minute or so of loading an area. First is loading screen, second is loading while in-game:
View: https://i.imgur.com/OQsLoXu.png

View: https://i.imgur.com/sdjEnLD.png

Any ideas?

logainofhades

Titan
What are your full system specs, including make/model of the PSU? Also your ram is running in single channel, being 12gb, so that can hurt performance. 8gb can still be fine, with WoW, also. Make sure all addons are up to date. You can go into your WoW retail folder, and delete WTF and cache, letting WoW create a new one. There could be something causing an issue there. Blizzard's support really has fallen...

Tom_Ato

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
What are your full system specs, including make/model of the PSU?
A bit of an old PC:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
Motherboard: Asus h81m d plus
RAM: Patriot Viper 3 Series DDR3 8GB 1600MHz (PC3 12800) Memory Module PV38G160C0
And some other 4GB ram that I forgot the name of. Idk how to check.
SSD 1: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB (For windows and downloads mainly)
SSD 2: Crucial BX500 120GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5-Inch Internal SSD - CT120BX500SSD1 (The new one WoW is on pretty much by itself)
PSU: Corsair CX600M

Also your ram is running in single channel, being 12gb, so that can hurt performance.
I don't know what that means or how to fix it, unfortunately.
Make sure all addons are up to date. You can go into your WoW retail folder, and delete WTF and cache, letting WoW create a new one.
I've already tinkered with all that. Tried playing without any addons with a deleted (renamed) WTF, Cache, and Interface. Issue persisted with the new files WoW generated. As mentioned, this also happens on the PTR (Public Test Realm), which is basically a blank slate regarding addons.