One of my hard drives failed but I have RAID 1

lephouque

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017
My storage consists of two 2TB hard drives set up in RAID 1, after two years of working fine one of them has broken. I'm not sure which one is broken but I talked to some computer people I know and they are very sure it is not a software issue so one of them must be. I haven't done anything yet because I don't know what to do but I assume I have to do something in BIOS or something, I honestly haven't done anything like this in two years and even back then I had help. I tried reading other question's answers but I didn't understand them. thank you for the help!

Solution
The whole point of setting up a RAID setup is so you can swap out the disk and continue to work, the first part of that is knowing what to do when you actually need to use it, or there is no sense is setting it up in the first place. Go into the RAID setup (you will see an option to get into it when you boot) and see what disk it tells you failed. It should give you the details about the disk, you may need to actually look at it to see which physical disk that is. Remove the bad one, replace it with the new one, go into the BIOS setup which should tell you it's degraded, do you want to rebuilt it. Rebuilt the RAID setup using the new drive and you are back to the original setup.
The whole point of setting up a RAID setup is so you can swap out the disk and continue to work, the first part of that is knowing what to do when you actually need to use it, or there is no sense is setting it up in the first place. Go into the RAID setup (you will see an option to get into it when you boot) and see what disk it tells you failed. It should give you the details about the disk, you may need to actually look at it to see which physical disk that is. Remove the bad one, replace it with the new one, go into the BIOS setup which should tell you it's degraded, do you want to rebuilt it. Rebuilt the RAID setup using the new drive and you are back to the original setup.

Solution