One of my pc's fan's(or cpu or gpu fan) keeps increasing and decreasing speeds

alihamad2003

Reputable
Jun 22, 2017
Idk which component is producing noise or increasing and decreasing speed in pc.How do i know which component is oding so and how to fix that.(i cant open the side panel because as soon as i open it,that noise stops.

Solution
Two options.

1. Go into BIOS Setup where your CPU_FAN header is configured. Choose to have it run under Manual, not Standard. Then set the specific speed you want. Make sure it is so high that it will never allow your CPU to overheat. When finished, SAVE and EXUT.

2. Instead, at that same place, create a custom fan response curve. What I suspect is happening is that your system often is running just on the border temperature between two fan speeds. So you could change the fan response curve to get it to run a bit faster at slower speeds, and maybe get it set so it does not keep changing so often.

alihamad2003

Reputable
Jun 22, 2017

so i found out that fan 1 is increasing and decrasing rpm(in speed fan).
So which fan is it?

alihamad2003

Reputable
Jun 22, 2017

so i found out that fan 1 is increasing and decrasing rpm(in speed fan).
So which fan is it?

fan 1? is it a case fan or is it the cpu fan? if its the cpu fan then its normal and may just be noisy.
if its the case fans unplug it if its that bad and replace it when you can. your system shouldnt increase temps very much (maybe 3-5c) over all.

if its the cpu fan check your bios/eufi you may have a fan profile that may have adjustment options. and if thats not good enough or the option doesnt exist consider replacing the cooler with something better maybe a hyper 212 and 3rd party fluid dynamic bearing fan or a darkrock with a bequiet fan.

alihamad2003

Reputable
Jun 22, 2017

thats the problem idk which fan is fan1.Btw i overlcocked my cpu i think its because of that

yep especially if you did it on a stock cooler... it explains everything :)
stock coolers are designed to work at stock speeds only. they dont typically have extra headroom for overclocking as that adds more cost to the final product.
so if yours is the stock cooler. remove the oc till you can get something with a higher TDP rating.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You should realize that any fan is supposed to change its speeds as you change the workload. That is the whole point of automatic fan speed control by mobo headers. What they do is monitor the TEMPERATURE of either the CPU chip inside (for the CPU_FAN header) or the mobo (for the case fans) and alter the speed of the relevant fan system to cool just enough to keep those temperatures at their correct values. When you do lost of work and generate more heat, the fans speed up. When you take a break and temperatures fall, the fans slow down.

alihamad2003

Reputable
Jun 22, 2017

So how can i make the cpu fan at a manual option because its really annoying hearing the stock cooler increasing and decreasing speeds in a really short time.(increases speed then 3 seconds later decreases)

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Two options.

1. Go into BIOS Setup where your CPU_FAN header is configured. Choose to have it run under Manual, not Standard. Then set the specific speed you want. Make sure it is so high that it will never allow your CPU to overheat. When finished, SAVE and EXUT.

2. Instead, at that same place, create a custom fan response curve. What I suspect is happening is that your system often is running just on the border temperature between two fan speeds. So you could change the fan response curve to get it to run a bit faster at slower speeds, and maybe get it set so it does not keep changing so often.

Solution