[SOLVED] One of my SSD is not detected in boot manager

Dec 8, 2019
Hello,

I bought a new SSD (Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) this week to install Windows 10 on it. I already have an older SSD (Kingston 120Gb SATA) that have Windows 10.
So it means that I currently have two Windows 10 on two differents SSD.
I want to keep both windows until I can transfer some data from the old one to the new one. And then I'll uninstall Windows 10 from my old SSD.

The thing is I wanted to install Windows 10 on my new SSD without uninstalling Windows 10 from my older one. I disconnected every SATA cables just to keep my new SSD and my USB key during the installation. At the end Windows 10 was able to boot on my new SSD, so I reconnected all the SATA cables to the other disks.
But now, only my new SSD is recognized in BIOS boot manager, my older one is not, even if it has Windows 10 installed too. It is only recognized in Windows and in BIOS disk manager.

I tried to change SATA cables and SATA slots, but nothing.

Any ideas of what I can do, please ?

========================================
Motherboard : MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus
Graphic Card : MSI Geforce RTX 2070 SUPER Ventus
Processor : Intel Core i5-9600k
RAM : 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000Mhz 8Gb
Power : 550W (need to find the exact name)
HDD/SSD : SSD SATA Kingston 120Gb (need to find the exact name), HDD WD Blue 1To, SSD NVMe Samgung 970 EVO PLUS
========================================

Last edited:
Solution
OS on 120Gb drive is installed in legacy mode.
OS on 1TB drive is installed in UEFI mode.

To be able to boot from them both, UEFI and legacy modes both have to be enabled.
Use Windows Boot Manager boot entry to boot from 1TB drive.
Use Kingston SV300 legacy boot entry to boot from 120GB drive.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

Check the Motherboard's User Guide/Manual to ensure that your SSD's are installed per the motherboard's requirements.

The Samsung 970 may have pre-empted a SATA port(s) that you are trying to use for another drive.

Dec 8, 2019
More info :

My new SSD is on the second M.2 slot, not the first one because the first slot is closer from my graphic card and my processor.
My old SSD is on the first SATA slot, and my HDD the second one.

Dec 8, 2019
Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

Check the Motherboard's User Guide/Manual to ensure that your SSD's are installed per the motherboard's requirements.

The Samsung 970 may have pre-empted a SATA port(s) that you are trying to use for another drive.
In the manual it says that if I take the second M.2 slot, it disables the 5th and 6th slots but that's it. Nothing more about M.2 SSD and I nothing on these slots

To be able to boot from them both, UEFI and legacy modes both have to be enabled.

Solution
Dec 8, 2019

It worked ! I found out that my M.2 SSD was present twice in the boot manager but it was just a visual bug. The duplicate was in reality my Kingston SSD hiding behind a fake name.

I realised that when I changed boot mode from UEFI + Legacy to UEFI only. So yeah, Legacy and UEFI were both enabled, I just did an on/off to reload disks names and to reveal the SSD I wanted to find.

Thanks for your help guys ! Appreciate a lot :)