One of the 2 cores CPU is overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2019
Hello,
I own a Toshiba i7-6600U laptop with 16 GB DDR4 RAm and 2 GB dedicated GPU.
I did use the laptop for gaming for around a year and after this I started experiencing major drop in FPS until it was no longer bearable.
I ran a RealTemp test and noticed that only one of the 2 cores ( it's a 2 cores CPU) is reaching 100 C and the thermal status says "LOG".
My laptop never shuts down though. It overheats but keeps working even if it gets a bit slower.
The laptops works fine if it just for browsing and watching movies with occasional lags. But i am definitely no longer able to open any games on it.
I took it to 2 different computer shops and they said the fan is fine..they reapplied thermal paste and nothing has helped.
I got told that I would need a new motherboard and that the CPU is defective.
I just wanted to see if anyone may have another possible fix for this or if I should stick to what the guys at the shop told me.
Thank you.

Feb 4, 2019

I believe I used a cooler underneath it back then but right now no.

Feb 4, 2019
I also noticed that when I unplugged the battery and entered the game the game felt smoother and the temperatures did not rise. Although the battery went from full to empty in around 3 min. Could it be that my battery is defective ? And causing the temperatures to rise so quickly

Feb 4, 2019

thank you for the quick reply winks42 and i'm very sorry for down voting your answer (clicked by mistake). I got the thermal paste replaced twice at the store. But i noticed that it might be a battery issue as well. I will try and replace the battery with a new one and then see how this works. Worth spending 40-50 bucks on it before buying a 1800 $ MSI gaming laptop....since my current laptop has 1 TB of SSD and 16 GB of RAM...

Feb 4, 2019
this is an image that describes what happens after 3 min of being inside a game.
mrU0tfh.jpg

now when I am only surfing the web, sometimes the temperatures do hit up to 77C which is alot for such a small task.
But it is always the 2nd CPU that is heating up, I am not sure if the other one would also hit 100 C if i give it enough time.

Feb 4, 2019
I'm also having problems with the charger, sometimes the battery shows that it is not charging and i have to tighten the cable that links the charger to the electrical socket. Not sure if this also can contribute to a bad delivery of electricity and may lead to overheating ? I'm sorry for my ignorance in this field, but I'm just trying to provide as much information as I can and trying to speculate.

In addition, i ran the game in the morning for 30 min and my temperature never reached TJ Max but it did cross the 90C margin. It is very weird. More over, only the 2nd CPU reached 94 C while the first one stayed at around 70 C.

winks42

Respectable
The battery shouldn’t effect overheating but I recommend being plugged in while gaming because it will use a lot of power. You can try colling pads but just make sure that nothing is blocking the fans. The battery also seems defective because of the 3 min discharge rate.(the battery will only last a hourish maybe more while gaming) I really don’t like asking people to buy things but laptops like to overheat and it’s so annoying, a cooling pad might fix the problem but I wish you the best of luck.

One last thing, can you under volt your cpu? If you don’t know what model is your laptop?

Feb 4, 2019

my laptop is a C55-C2062 Sattelite TOSHIBA. As for the undervolting, i usually go on the power options--> change plan settings--> change advanced power settings-->processor power management--> maximum processor rate --> and i usually put it at around 75%.
Not really sure if this is undervolting, but this helps with the temperature, however the game is slowed down and my FPS is then horrible.

As for the fan issue, i did take the laptop 2 days ago to a computer store, well he did not open it and take a closer look at the fan but he assured me just from the sound of the fan that it would be running well.

I just am intrigued by the fact that only 1 CPU gets to really high temps while the other seems to not cross the 80 C margin. Just don't get it.

Feb 4, 2019

You were right. the battery did not help. I did decrease the % of CPU power down to 80% and i was able to actually run the game with maybe lower fps but no thermal throttling, the temperature was steady at 70 C. however anything above 90% of CPU power would lead to thermal throttling.
Any input ?

Status
Not open for further replies.