Question One of the cooling fans on a new build has started spinning slower ?

marlomite

Prominent
Apr 2, 2022
test with a different fan?
Update: I restarted the pc and the rustling sound and the out of sync spinning was still happening but now about 10 minutes after restarting the pc. The fan as gone back into synch and the noise stopped. Is there a specific reason why this happened?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You say this system is new - how new is that?

What you describe sounds a LOT like an older fan showing signs of wearing out. Typically this is what happens for an older fan. First symptom is that the fan starts making an odd noise when it first starts up from COLD, but that noise goes away after couple minutes. If you reboot it does not make noise. If you shut down until the system is VERY cool then start up, the noise is back temporarily. Over some months the period of noise lasts longer and longer, and you may notice the fan running slow during the noise. Eventually the noise never stops. The last stage is the fan completely stalls and does not run. As a fan ages the bearing sleeves wear out and their hole gets slightly larger so that the shaft "rattles" in the sleeve at start-up. BUT as it runs the bearing parts expand and shrink that excess clearance so it can run smoothly. Further normal wear just makes this all get worse. The only solution IF this is your problem is to replace the fan. This should NOT happen to a fan that is only 1 or 2 years old.

marlomite

Prominent
Apr 2, 2022
You say this system is new - how new is that?

What you describe sounds a LOT like an older fan showing signs of wearing out. Typically this is what happens for an older fan. First symptom is that the fan starts making an odd noise when it first starts up from COLD, but that noise goes away after couple minutes. If you reboot it does not make noise. If you shut down until the system is VERY cool then start up, the noise is back temporarily. Over some months the period of noise lasts longer and longer, and you may notice the fan running slow during the noise. Eventually the noise never stops. The last stage is the fan completely stalls and does not run. As a fan ages the bearing sleeves wear out and their hole gets slightly larger so that the shaft "rattles" in the sleeve at start-up. BUT as it runs the bearing parts expand and shrink that excess clearance so it can run smoothly. Further normal wear just makes this all get worse. The only solution IF this is your problem is to replace the fan. This should NOT happen to a fan that is only 1 or 2 years old.
I bought the system on the 27th of February, not a pre build. This is the first time I get this kind of problem since I got it and I was not doing anything of note with the pc when this problem started, was just on youtube.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Does the fan behaviour match my dscription? That is, does it make this noise ONLY when you start up the system cold, but not when it's already warmed up? And it lasts only a minute or so? If yes, then that fan is defective and you should pursue free replacement under warranty.

marlomite

Prominent
Apr 2, 2022
Does the fan behaviour match my dscription? That is, does it make this noise ONLY when you start up the system cold, but not when it's already warmed up? And it lasts only a minute or so? If yes, then that fan is defective and you should pursue free replacement under warranty.
I just came home and powered on the pc, was fine for about 5-10 minutes then the same problem happened and lasted for about 30-40 seconds then the problem stopped again