News One of the first home computers resurrected — Raspberry Pi and 3D printing brings faux TRS-80 to life

mickrc3

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2016
Bought my Model 1 in 1979 and learned to program it. Upgraded it from Level 1 Basic to Level 2, upgraded memory to 16K and then added the Expansion Interface with another 32K of RAM for the system max of 48K. Replaced the cassette interface with an Exatron Stringy Floppy drive (Endless Reel tape drive). Added a floppy drive and controller and upgraded to TRS-DOS and then to NewDOS80. Had the Tandy Screen Printer, added a thermal printer from DAK, and finally a Epson MX-70. In less than a year I switched careers in the Air Force and went to programming school. I finished a 42 year career for DOD in 2019, with 38 years of that being a computer programmer.

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
My first contact with computers was via a Model II in a technical college in Ohio, where I took a class in Basic programming in 1980.

It's become my career, although Basic faded rather quickly.

kdw75

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I still have my model III in the garage. Been meaning to see if it still boots. Maybe this weekend.
I still have all of our old computers. The oldest is my Dad's Tandy Model I. We also still have the III, IV, 1000s, and a half dozen Macs including a IIfx. They are all sitting on shelves in the storage room at our business.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
A Model III/IV is one of the few vintage machines that I don't have in my collection, yet. The size, and weight, makes shipping cost prohibitive, because of the CRT, and I haven't been able to find one locally that is in working condition.

Jul 20, 2024
Model III was my first computer as well!

Should configure them to light during actual storage I/O. :)
Hi, I’m the creator of this model and I agree about the LEDs. The emulator is closed source so I looked for ways to detect I/O activity externally (e.g. monitor system calls). The wonderful authors of the emulator explained why that won’t work and are considering adding a feature that will allow me to do this.